|Region of origin||Worldwide|
|Related names||Patrick, Pat, Patrice, Patsy, Patti, Tricia, Trish|
Patricia // is a common female given name of Latin origin. Derived from the Latin word patrician, meaning "noble", it is the feminine form of the masculine given name Patrick. The name Patricia was the second most common female name in the United States according to the 1990 US Census.
It is commonly shortened to "Pat", "Patsy", "Patti"/"Pattie", "Trish" or "Trisha"/"Tricia". These diminutives are sometimes used as names in their own right. Another well-known variant of this is "Patrice".
According to the US Social Security Administration records, the use of the name for newborns peaked at #3 from 1937 to 1943 in the United States, after which it dropped in popularity, sliding to #745 in 2016. From 1928 to 1967, the name was ranked among the top 11 female names.
In Portuguese and Spanish-speaking countries, the name Patricia is common as well, pronounced [paˈtrisja], while in Italy Patrizia is the form, pronounced [paˈtritstsja]. In Polish, the variant is Patrycja. It is also used in Romania, in 2009 being the 43rd most common name for baby girls.
- Patricia Angadi (1914-2001), British portrait painter and novelist
- Patricia Arquette, American actress and director
- Patricia Briggs, American author
- Patricia Clarkson, American actress
- Patricia Hill Collins, American scholar of feminism and gender, author, sociologist, philosopher
- Pat Dowell, American politician
- Patricia Fink, Japanese–American singer
- Patricia C. Frist, American businesswoman and philanthropist
- Patricia Harless, American politician
- Patricia Heaton, American actress, comedian, producer and model
- Patricia Highsmith, American novelist
- Patricia Hodge, English actress
- Patricia Kalember, American actress
- Patricia McConnell, American ethologist, author, advice columnist, and radio host
- Patricia McKenzie, Canadian actress, dancer and singer
- Patricia McPherson, American actress
- Patricia Neal, American actress
- Patricia Owens, Canadian-born American actress
- Patricia Petersen, Australian academic, politician, actress, playwright and director
- Pat Phoenix, British actress (born Patricia Phoenix)
- Patricia Piccinini, Australian artist and sculptor
- Patricia Quinn, Northern Irish actress
- Patricia Richardson, American television and film actress
- Patricia Routledge, British actress
- Patricia Ruanne (born 1945), British ballerina
- Patricia Taylor, American author and sex educator
- Patricia Wettig, American actress and playwright
- Patricia Young, Canadian poet
- Rooney Mara, American film actress (born Patricia Rooney Mara)
- Patricia (genus), a genus of butterflies in the family Nymphalidae
- All pages beginning with "Patricia"
- All pages beginning with "Pat"
- Patty (given name)
- "Frequently Occurring Surnames from 1990 - Names Files". census.gov. Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- Popularity of a Name. Social Security Administration ssa.gov, accessed June 26, 2017
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|