|Region of origin||Worldwide|
|Related names||Patrick, Pat, Patrice, Patsy, Patti, Tricia, Trish|
|Look up Patricia in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Patricia // is a common female given name of Latin origin. Derived from the Latin word patrician, meaning "noble", the masculine form of the name is Patrick. The name Patricia was the second most common female name in the United States according to the 1990 US Census.[verification needed]
It is commonly shortened to 'Pat', 'Pati/Paty', 'Patsy', Patti/Pattie', 'Trish' or 'Trisha/Tricia'. These diminutives are sometimes used as names in their own right. Another well-known variant of this is 'Patrice'.
According to the US Social Security Administration records, the use of the name for newborns peaked at #3 from 1937 to 1943 in the USA, after which it dropped in popularity, reaching a low of #442 in 2007. From 1928 to 1967, the name was ranked among the top #11 female names.
In Portuguese and Spanish-speaking countries, the name Patricia is common as well, pronounced [paˈtrisja], while in Italy Patrizia is the form, pronounced [paˈtriːtsja]. In Polish, the variant is Patrycja.
- Patricia Arquette, American actress and director
- Patricia Briggs, American author
- Patricia Clarkson, American actress
- Pat Dowell, alderman in the Chicago City Council
- Patricia Fink, singer in Japan
- Patricia C. Frist, American businesswoman and philanthropist.
- Patricia Harless, American politician
- Patricia Heaton, American actress, comedian, producer and model
- Patricia Highsmith, deceased American novelist
- Patricia Hodge, English actress
- Patricia McConnell, ethologist, author, advice columnist, and radio host
- Patricia McKenzie, multi-lingual Canadian actress, dancer and singer
- Patricia McPherson, American actress
- Patricia Neal, American actress of stage and screen
- Patricia Owens, Canadian-born American actress
- Patricia Petersen, Australian academic, politician, actress, playwright and director
- Patricia Piccinini, Australian artist and hyperrealist sculptor
- Patricia Quinn, Northern Irish actress
- Patricia Richardson, American television and film actress
- Patricia Routledge, British actress
- Patricia Wettig, American actress and playwright
- Patricia Young, Canadian poet
- Rooney Mara, American film actress (born Patricia Rooney Mara)
- All pages beginning with "Patricia"
- All pages beginning with "Pat"
- All pages beginning with "Patty"
- All pages beginning with "Trisha"
- All pages beginning with "Tricia"
- Patrician (ancient Rome)
- Popularity of a Name. Social Security Administration ssa.gov, accessed July 17, 2008
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|