Patricia A. McKillip
Patricia Anne McKillip
|Born||February 29, 1948|
|Alma mater||San Jose State University|
|Notable awards||Mythopoeic Awards 1995, World Fantasy Award 1975 and 2003, World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement 2008|
Life and education
Patricia A. McKillip was born in Salem, Oregon. She grew up in Oregon, Great Britain, and Germany. She attended San Jose State University in California, where she received a B.A. in 1971 and a Master of Arts in English in 1973.  McKillip is married to David Lunde, a poet.
McKillip's first publications were two short children's books, The Throme of the Erril of Sherill and The House on Parchment Street. Her first novel, The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, was published in 1974, when she was only 26 years old, and won the World Fantasy Award in 1975.
McKillip's novels have included winners of the World Fantasy Award, the Locus Award, and the Mythopoeic Award. In 2008, she was a recipient of the World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement. Most of her recent novels feature cover paintings by Kinuko Y. Craft.
On writing fantasy, McKillip has said, "The tropes of mythology and symbolism are the basics. It's like a notation in music; you can change it in really wacky ways, but the sound is always the same, the sound is always there. As long as we need these symbols, then the stories will be written. But if we destroy the old symbols, then we might just have to come up with new ones--who knows?"
- Locus June 2011, p. 7.
- McKillip, Patricia A. The Bell at Sealey Head. New York: Penguin Books, 2008. Back flap of dust jacket.
- Locus June 2011, p. 67.
- 2008 World Fantasy Award. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-12-01. Retrieved 2010-09-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link); retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Patricia McKillip: Fairy Tales Matter". Locus Magazine. Locus. June 2011. Retrieved November 6, 2019.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Patricia A. McKillip|
- patriciamckillip.com (unofficial)
- McKillip at Fantastic Fiction
- Patricia A. McKillip at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Patricia A. McKillip at the Internet Book List
- Novel synopses, cover art, and reviews at FantasyLiterature.net
- "Vengeance as a theme in the writings of Patricia A. McKillip"
- Patricia McKillip at Library of Congress Authorities, with 33 catalog records