Medina by Allan Warren (1973)
Patricia Paz Maria Medina|
19 July 1919
Liverpool, Lancashire, England
28 April 2012 (aged 92)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Blandford Cemetery in Petersburg, Virginia|
|Other names||Patricia Medina Cotten|
(m. 1941; div. 1951)
(m. 1960; his death 1994)
Medina was the daughter of Ramón Medina Nebot, who was Spanish from the Canary Islands, and her mother was English. Born in Liverpool, Lancashire, Medina began acting as a teenager in the late 1930s. She worked her way up to leading roles in the mid-1940s and left London for Hollywood.
In 1950's Fortunes of Captain Blood, she teamed with British actor, Louis Hayward. She and Hayward subsequently appeared together in 1951's The Lady and the Bandit, Lady in the Iron Mask and Captain Pirate from 1952.
Darkly beautiful, Medina was often typecast in period melodramas such as The Black Knight. Two of her more notable films were William Witney's Stranger at My Door and Orson Welles' Mr. Arkadin, based on episodes of the radio series The Adventures of Harry Lime, itself derived from The Third Man film.
Although prolific during the early 1950s, her film career faded away by the end of the decade. In 1958, she performed in four episodes as Margarita Cortazar on Walt Disney's ABC series, Zorro. In 1958, she also appeared as "The Lady" Diana Coulter in Richard Boone's CBS western series, Have Gun, Will Travel. She was then cast in an episode of Darren McGavin's NBC western series, Riverboat. In 1960, she was cast as different characters in two episodes ("Fair Game" and "The Earl of Durango") of the ABC western series, The Rebel. Medina also made television appearances on Perry Mason ("The Case of the Lucky Loser", 27 September 1958); Bonanza ("The Spanish Grant", 6 February 1960), Thriller ("The Premature Burial", 1961), The Alfred Hitchcock Hour ("See the Monkey Dance", 9 November 1964) and The Man from U.N.C.L.E ("The Foxes and Hounds Affair", 8 October 1965). Medina guest starred as Ruthanne Harper in "Incident of the Boomerang" in 1961 and Ilona Calvin in "Incident at Jacob's Well" in 1959, on Rawhide. also appeared in The Amos burke (Gene Barry) TV episode Don Pablo 1967.
In 1998, she published an autobiography, Laid Back in Hollywood.
Medina married British actor Richard Greene, 24 December 1941, in St. James's Church, Spanish Place, London; they divorced in 1951. Medina married Joseph Cotten on 20 October 1960, in Beverly Hills at the home of David O. Selznick and Jennifer Jones. No children were born from either marriage.
Medina died at age 92 on 28 April 2012, from natural causes at the Barlow Respiratory Hospital in Los Angeles, California. Her remains are buried at Blandford Cemetery in Petersburg, Virginia, beside Joseph Cotten.
- Dinner at the Ritz (1937)
- Mr. Satan (1938)
- Simply Terrific (1938)
- Double or Quits (1938)
- This Man Is News (1938)
- Crook's Tour (1941)
- The Day Will Dawn (1942)
- The First of the Few (1942)
- They Met in the Dark (1943)
- Hotel Reserve (1944)
- Don't Take It to Heart (1944)
- Waltz Time (1945)
- Kiss the Bride Goodbye (1945)
- The Secret Heart (1946)
- Moss Rose (1947)
- The Foxes of Harrow (1947)
- The Beginning or the End (1947)
- The Three Musketeers (1948)
- Children of Chance (1949)
- The Fighting O'Flynn (1949), opposite then husband, Richard Greene
- Francis (1950)
- Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion (1950)
- The Jackpot (1950)
- Fortunes of Captain Blood (1950)
- Valentino (1951)
- The Magic Carpet (1951)
- The Lady and the Bandit (1951)
- Captain Pirate (1952)
- Desperate Search (1952)
- Lady in the Iron Mask (1952)
- Aladdin and His Lamp (1952)
- Botany Bay (1953)
- Sangaree (1953)
- Plunder of the Sun (1953)
- Siren of Bagdad (1953)
- Phantom of the Rue Morgue (1954)
- The Black Knight (1954)
- Drums of Tahiti (1954)
- Mr. Arkadin (1955)
- Pirates of Tripoli (1955)
- The Red Cloak (1955)
- Duel on the Mississippi (1955)
- The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956)
- Miami Exposé (1956)
- Stranger at My Door (1956)
- Uranium Boom (1956)
- The Buckskin Lady (1957)
- Battle of the V-1 (1958)
- Count Your Blessings (1959)
- Snow White and the Three Stooges (1961)
- The Killing of Sister George (1968)
- Latitude Zero (1969)
- Timber Tramps (1975)
Selected television roles
- Tales of the 77th Bengal Lancers (1956)
- The Californians as Lola Montez in episode "Lola Montez" (NBC-TV, 1958)
- Rawhide (CBS-TV, 1960)
- Have Gun - Will Travel (1957 - 1963) (TV Series)
- The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (1964)
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (1965)
- Branded (NBC-TV, 1966)
- "Index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- "Actress Patricia Medina dies at 92 – Entertainment News, Film News, Media". Variety. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- TCM website
- Medina Cotton, Patricia (1998). Laid Back In Hollywood. Bell Publishing. ISBN 9780964963511.
- Richard Greene (1918–1985) – A Biography Archived 19 August 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Patricia Medina Cotton: The Interview Archived 14 December 2004 at the Wayback Machine.
- Patricia Medina Biography
- , The Los Angeles Times 2 May 2012
- Patricia Medina at Find a Grave
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Patricia Medina.|