This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Patricia Urquiola (born 1961) is a Spanish architect and designer.
Spanish by birth, and Italian by choice, Patricia Urquiola was born in Oviedo, Spain and studied architecture in Madrid before graduating from the Milan Politecnico in 1989. She was mentored by some of the masters of Italian industrial design: Achille Castiglioni oversaw her graduate thesis, and Vico Magistretti, with whom she designed her first projects. She learned her craft in Italy, and opened a studio in Milan in 2001. Some highlights from her career include her encounter with Maddalena de Padova (1990), her collaboration with Piero Lissoni (1996-2000), and her partnership with Patrizia Moroso (since 1998) which led to the design of the Step Sofa, eventually debuting at the Saloni Milano and launching her into the spotlight at the young age of 40. Amidst all of these accomplishments, she had a stint at Lissoni Associati, beginning in 1993, where she developed furniture for Italian giants Cappellini and Cassina. The Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Barcelona is one of her many architectural projects.
In 2011 she was awarded the Medalla de Oro al Mérito en las Bellas Artes and the Order of Isabella the Catholic by King Juan Carlos I of Spain. She also tends to collaborate with other architects and designers.
She designs for Agape, Alessi, Andreu World, Artelano, Axor, B&B Italia, Bart Design, The City of Bilbao, Bisazza, BMW, Bosa, Budri, Chevalier Edition, Il Coccio, De Padova, De Vecchi, Dior, Driade, Emu, Fasem, Salvatore Ferragamo, Flos, Foscarini, Gallotti & Radice, Gandia Blasco, Glas Italia, Kartell, Kettal, Kvadrat, Maurice Lacroix, Liv’it, Louis Vuitton, Peter Mabeo, MDF Italia, Molteni, Moroso, Mutina, Olivari, Panasonic, Paola Lenti, Rosenthal, Champagne Ruinart, San Lorenzo, Tronconi, and Viccarbe. Consulting for Moroso, Honda, LG, Panasonic, the Singapore Government, and the Qatar Museum Authority. Artistic direction for Mutina.
"Objects must communicate," Urquiola said. "There should always be a hint of irony, humor or sensuality. I think with my hands. I'm my own client."
Interior design and architectural works
- 2010 Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Barcelona, Spain
- 2010 W hotel Starwood Group, Vieques, Puerto Rico, USA
- 2012 Spa, Four Seasons Hotel, Milan, Italy
- 2012 Das Stue Hotel, Design Hotel Group, Berlin, Germany
- 2013 Santoni new boutique, Milan, Italy
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Barcelona Extension
- Flos Stand Light & Building Frankfurt
- Flos Stand Euroshop Düsseldorf
- Missoni Shops Berlin, Moscow, Riyadh, Doha
- Santoni Shop Lugano
- Hotel Sereno Lago di Como, Torno, Como, Italy
- Oasia Hotel, Singapore
- Private House, Melbourne, Australia
- Missoni Shops Venice, Bodrum, New York, Paris, Hong Kong, Casablanca
- Officine Panerai Shops Florence, Paris, Hong Kong, New York, Miami
- Santoni Shop New York
- Gianvito Rossi Shops London, New York, Tokyo
- Pitti Uomo, Florence
- Haworth Showroom Chicago
- Haworth Stand, Orgatec, Cologne
- Jewelry Museum, Vicenza
- Distillato Restaurant, La Jeune Rue, Paris
- Restaurant, Doha
- Qatar Museum Authority Shop, Doha
- 2003 Galleria Alina Espacio, Mallorca, Spain.
- 2003 Pakhuis Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- 2004 Interieur, Kortrijk, Belgium.
- 2005 Ideal House, IMM, Cologne, Germany.
- 2006 “P.U. Ajuar”, Casa Pasarela, Madrid, Spain.
- 2006 “Pelle d’asino – Donkey Skin”, Verona, Italy.
- 2007 “Dance No.2”, Kölnischer Kunstverein, Art Gallery, Cologne, Germany.
- 2007 “Dance No.3”, SuperSpace, Belgrade, Serbia.
- 2008 “Chasen”, Flexibility, Le Nuove, Turin, Italy.
- 2008 “Purely Porcelain”, London Design Museum, London, UK.
- 2008 “No-where-Now-Here”, Laboral, Contemporary Art Museum, Gijon, Spain.
- 2009 Muzeum Sztuk Użytkowych, Poznań, Poland.
- 2010 “Macrosterias”, Art Basel, Switzerland.
- 2010 “Cosas”, Valencia, Spain.
- 2010 “Contempling The Void”, Guggenheim Museum, New York, NY, USA.
- 2010 Art Basel 41, Basel, Switzerland.
- 2011 “Ossimori”, Casabella Lab, Milan, Italy.
- 2011 “All Ambiq”,Design Miami, Miami, FL, USA.
- 2011 “Interior Trends”, IMM, Cologne, Germany.
- 2011 Luminaire Miami, Miami, FL, USA.
- 2011 “All Ambiq”, Venice Art Biennale, Venice, Italy.
- 2011 “Creative Junctions”, National Museum of China, Beijing International Design Triennial, Beijing, China.
- 2011 Luminaire Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA.
- 2011 “O’Clock- Design del Tempo, Tempo del Design”, Triennale Museum, Milan, Italy.
- 2012 “All Ambiq”, Museum of Arts and Design, New York, NY, USA.
- 2013 “O’clock – time design, design time”, CAFA Art Museum, Beijing, China.
- 2013 “Glasstress”, MUDAC, Museum for Design and Contemporary Applied Arts, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 2014 "Gathering" exhibition by Li Edelkoort & Philip Fimmano approaches, Design Museum Holon
- 2017 "Patricia Urquiola: Between Craft and Industry", Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia,USA. 
Awards and international recognition
- Inducted into the Interior Design Hall of Fame, Awarded by Cindy Allen and Interior Design Magazine.
- Dorian, Donna. "Groundbreaker".
- Hudson, Jennifer (2008). Process: 50 Product Designs from Concept to Manufacture. London: Lawrence King Publishing LTD. p. 214. ISBN 978 1 85669 541 1.
- Marsh, Emilie (July 23, 2004). "Woman's Work". Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved June 26, 2016.
- [dead link]
- Art, Philadelphia Museum of. "Philadelphia Museum of Art - Exhibitions - Patricia Urquiola: Between Craft and Industry". www.philamuseum.org.
- "Hall of Fame Documentary: Patricia Urquiola". Interior Design.