Patrick (2013 film)
Theatrical film poster
|Directed by||Mark Hartley|
|Produced by||Antony I. Ginnane|
|Written by||Justin King|
|Music by||Pino Donaggio|
|Edited by||Jane Moran|
|Distributed by||Umbrella Entertainment.|
Patrick is a 2013 Australian supernatural horror film that was directed by Mark Hartley and a remake of the 1978 film of the same name. It had its world premiere on 27 July 2013 at the Melbourne International Film Festival and received a limited theatrical release on 14 March 2014, followed by a DVD release the following month. Its Canadian theatrical premiere was at the Lost Episode Festival Toronto on 5 July 2014.
The movie stars Jackson Gallagher as the titular Patrick, a comatose young man that uses his psychic powers to stalk a nurse caring for him.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (April 2017)
Kathy (Sharni Vinson) is a young nurse that is eager to prove herself in her new job in an isolated psychiatric clinic. She's intrigued by Patrick (Jackson Gallagher), a comatose patient that her boss Dr. Roget (Charles Dance) assures her is incapable of truly responding to any external stimuli. Kathy is horrified by the experiments that Roget and his nurse Matron Cassidy (Rachel Griffiths) inflict upon him, and she's initially pleased when she finds a way to communicate with him. This quickly turns to horror when Patrick uses his psychic abilities to interfere with her life outside of the hospital, as Patrick has grown obsessed with Kathy and will harm anyone that he deems to be interfering with his relationship with her.
- Sharni Vinson as Kathy Jacquar
- Rachel Griffiths as Matron Cassidy
- Charles Dance as Doctor Roget
- Peta Sergeant as Nurse Williams
- Eliza Taylor as Nurse Panicale
- Martin Crewes as Brian Wright
- Damon Gameau as Ed Penhaligon
- Jackson Gallagher as Patrick
- Rod Mullinar as Morris
- Simone Buchanan as Patrick's Mother
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2018)
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2019)
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2017)
The Hollywood Reporter rated it favorably, summing it up with the tagline "This Ozploitation remake is a spookily effective fright-fest." The Guardian gave a predominantly favorable but mixed review, praising the cast's acting overall while noting that the film erred in overdoing the film's shocks and doing them too early. Richard Kuipers from Variety gave the film a positive review, praising Vinson's performance, gothic atmosphere, while noting the film's occasionally wobbly dialogue. Drew Tinnin from Dread Central rated the film a score of 3.5 out of 5, stating that director Hartley "his remake of one of those films exhibits the same understanding of how to craft an effective horror film that’s decidedly over-the-top while still retaining the same atmosphere that made the original Patrick worth documenting in the first place."
Clifford Wheatley from IGN wrote, "Patrick: Evil Awakens offers some talented actors doing their best with lackluster material, peppered with some amusing practical make-up effects, but offers nothing of substance to make this a movie worth spending your money on. It’s late-night cable fodder at the very best." Simon Abrams on Roger Ebert.com awarded the film a mixed 2.5 out of 4 stars, commending the film's score, script; while criticizing the film's dialogue, and direction as being "often unnecessarily over-determined".
|AFCA Awards||Best Actress||Sharni Vinson||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Charles Dance||Nominated|
- "AICN HORROR talks with Mark Hartley director of PATRICK: EVIL AWAKENS! Plus reviews of PATRICK (1978) and the remake!". AICN. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Tyson, Patrick. "Aussie Cult Classic Gets The Remake Treatment". FilmInk. Archived from the original on 24 May 2014. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Don Groves, 'A change of villain in Patrick reboot, SBS Film, 10 Sept 2012 accessed 5 Oct 2012
- "Patrick: Evil Awakens (2013) - Mark Hartley". Allmovie.com. Allmovie. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "Patrick: Evil Awakens (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Lehmann, Megan. "Patrick: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Barber, Lynden. "Patrick - first look review". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Kuipers, Richard. "'Patrick: Evil Awakens' Review: A Well-Crafted Horror Remake – Variety". Variety.com. Richard Kuipers. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- Tinnin, Drew. "Patrick (2013)". Dread Central.com. Drew Tinnin. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- Wheatley, Clifford. "Patrick: Evil Awakens Review - IGN". IGN.com. Clifford Wheatley. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- Abrams, Simon. "Patrick Movie Review & Film Summary (2014)". Roger Ebert.com. Simon Abrams. Retrieved 11 September 2019.