Patrick Baumann (basketball)
|3rd Secretary General of FIBA|
1 January 2003 – 14 October 2018
|Preceded by||Borislav Stanković|
5 August 1967|
14 October 2018 (aged 51)|
Buenos Aires, Argentina
|Cause of death||Heart attack|
|Occupation||Basketball executive, player, coach and referee|
Patrick Baumann (5 August 1967 – 14 October 2018) was a Swiss basketball executive, player and coach. He was the President of the Global Association of International Sports Federations and Secretary General of the International Basketball Federation (FIBA).
Baumann was born in Basel on 5 August 1967. He was involved in many aspects of the basketball world. He played basketball while in Italy and also served as a referee. In Switzerland, he trained referees, coached a basketball team, ran clinics and organized tournaments.
Baumann joined the FIBA in 1994, and became the Deputy Secretary General in 1995. He was elevated to the position of Secretary General in 2002, with his term officially starting in 2003.
While Secretary General of the FIBA, Baumann supported the growth of 3x3 basketball. This format was used at the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games and was used in the under 18 will championships in 2015 Israel.
- 1987 Maturità Classica, Sanremo, Italy
- 1990 Law Degree University of Lausanne Switzerland
- 1996 Master in Sport Administration Management University of Lyon, France
- 2001 MBS University of Chicago, Chicago
- "Patrick Baumann, '01". The University of Chicago Booth School of Business. Retrieved 18 Oct 2013.
- "Passion and strategic vision: Patrick Baumann's ideas". Rio2016. Archived from the original on 2015-06-24. Retrieved 15 Sep 2014.
- "FIBA Secretary General Patrick Baumann Proposed as IOC Member". Sportcal. 3 May 2007. Retrieved 18 Oct 2013.
- Levitt, Joshua (February 10, 2014). "Israel to Host FIBA's 3-on-3 Basketball Under 18 World Championships in 2015". Algemeiner.com. Retrieved 15 Sep 2014.
- "Mr Patrick BAUMANN". International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 18 Oct 2013.
- "IOC member and FIBA secretary general Patrick Baumann passes away". ESPN.com. 14 October 2018. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
| Secretary General of the FIBA