|This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (May 2015)|
Competitive eating career
||This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
On January 2, 2007, he became the first person to complete the Sasquatch Burger Contest at Bigfoot Lodge Cafe in Memphis, Tennessee. 679 people had tried to finish the burger and fries that starts with 4 lbs of hamburger meat on a homemade bun, Bertoletti finished the meal in 11 minutes and 5 seconds.
On July 4, 2007, he finished third in the 92nd annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, having eaten 49 hot dogs and buns in that competition. Only two others have ever eaten more during the contest.
On September 16, 2007, he defeated Sonya Thomas and Rich LeFevre at the La Costeña "Feel the Heat" Jalapeño Eating Challenge in Chicago, IL. This competition was marred when the event organizers ran out of jalapeños five minutes into the eight-minute competition.
On November 22, 2007, he won Spike TV Major League Eating "Turkey Bowl". Bertoletti consumed 6.91 pounds of (whole) turkey in 8 minutes, upsetting the previous year's winner Joey Chestnut. The feat earned a "Wow!" from 4th ranked Tim Janus after the competition when the total weight consumed was announced.
On July 4, 2008, he finished 4th at the Nathan's Famous contest, consuming 38 HDB (hot dogs & buns) in the 10-minute contest.
On September 1, 2008, he finished 3rd at the Skyline Chili Spaghetti Eating Contest, consuming 11 LB in the 10-minute contest.
On July 4, 2009, Patrick placed 3rd in the Nathan's Famous contest, eating 54 HDBs.
In May, 2010, Patrick became the world poutine eating champion after scarfing down 13 pounds of gravy-and-cheese-soaked fries in a mere 10 minutes. He edged out 11 fellow stars of Major League Eating and three Canadian amateur eaters by consuming box after box of poutine at Toronto's BMO Field in the first World Poutine Eating Championship.
On July 4, 2010, Patrick took third place in the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating contest by eating 37 hot dogs in ten minutes.
On July 22, 2010, Patrick beat Joey Chestnut to win the Mars Bar eating competition. He ate 38 bars in just over 4 minutes.
On June 5, 2011, Patrick took first place in the Acme Oyster House Oyster Eating Contest and set a Louisiana state record by eating 39 dozen (468 individual) oysters in eight minutes.
On July 4, 2011, Patrick took second place in the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating contest by eating 55 hot dogs in ten minutes.
On January 23, 2012, Patrick took first place in The Isle Boonville World Boneless Buffalo Wing Eating Championship by eating 6.75 pounds of buffalo wings in 10 minutes.
On September 9, 2012, Patrick took first place in Wild Eggs National Pancake Eating Championship by eating 50 king pancakes in 10 minutes.
On February 3, 2013, Patrick took first place in Fat Tuesday King Cake Eating World Championship by eating 12 king cakes in 8 minutes.
On July 3, 2013, Patrick took first place in Z-Burger Independence Burger eating Championship by eating 28 burgers in 10 minutes.
On October 6, 2013, Patrick took second place in Canada's biggest pizza eating contest by eating 39 slices of pizza in 12 minutes.
He set a record for most milk consumed in an hour by drinking 2.5 gallons.
- 16" pizza: 47 slices in 10 minutes
- Blueberry pie (hands-free): 9.17 lbs in 8 minutes
- Chicken wings: 4.1 lbs in 8 minutes
- Chocolate: 1 lb, 15.5 oz in 7 minutes
- Corned beef and cabbage: 10.63 lbs in 10 minutes
- Corned Beef Sandwiches: 11 8-ounce sandwiches in 10 minutes
- Date Nut Bread: 29.5 date nut bread and cream cheese sandwiches in 8 minutes
- Doughnuts (cream-filled): 47 glazed and cream-filled doughnuts in 5 minutes
- Grits: 21 lbs in 10 minutes
- Ice cream (short form): 1.75 lbs (gallons) vanilla ice cream in 8 minutes
- Jalapeño peppers (pickled): 98 after eating 47 donuts in 5 minutes
- Jalapeño peppers (pickled): 191 in 6.5 minutes
- Jalapeño peppers (pickled): 275 in 8 minutes
- Key lime pie: 10.8 lbs in 8 minutes
- Kolaches: 44 cherry kolaches in 8 minutes
- Oysters (short form): 34 dozen in 8 minutes
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches: 42 sandwiches in 10 minutes
- Posole: 9 lbs, 3 ounces in 12 minutes
- Shoo-fly pie: 11.1 lbs in 8 minutes
- Strawberry rhubarb pie: 7.9 lbs in 8 minutes
- Strawberry shortcake: 15.25 lbs in 8 minutes
- Waffles: 29 8-ounce waffles in 10 minutes
- Whole turkey: 4 lbs, 12.8 ounces of roast turkey meat in 12 minutes
- Whole turkey (short form): 6.91 lbs of roast turkey meat in 8 minutes
Bertoletti is a frequent guest on the Steve Dahl podcast. Bertoletti was featured on the cover of the Chicago Reader on Friday June 30, 2006. The story described his abilities and his ambitions for the summer competition.
Bertoletti appeared on WAGA Atlanta's Fox 5 News on June 24, 2006 after winning the qualifier at Zoo Atlanta, where he ate 33 Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs.
Fans of the competitive eater often ask him what he listens to when he wears his trademark headphones during contests. The answer: Jesse and the Rippers. Bertoletti cites his personal heroes as being Charles Bronson and Burt Reynolds. When not training for the next big contest, he spends his time collecting rubber bands to add to his rubber band ball.
- "Challenge Winner - 2007!". Archived from the original on December 25, 2008. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- "The Kookamonga Challenge". Kookycanuck.com. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- Sederstron, Jotham & Adam Lisberg. (July 4, 2007) American wins hot dog title over six-time champ Daily News (New York).
- Top-ranked chicken eater loses his crown; Ryan Nakashima; October 10, 2007; Retrieved October 10, 2007; Archived October 12, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Riley, Marcus (March 17, 2009). "Chicagoan Creams Corned Beef Competition". NBC Chicago. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- "NY hosts corned beef 'Sandwich Slamm'". WBBH-TV. March 18, 2009. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- Lucadamo, Kathlen; Xana O'Neill; & Bill Hutchinson. (July 5, 2009) Rain and Shine for 4th Daily News (New York).
- Pat Bertoletti Posts Shocking Rib Eating Contest Upset.
- ‘Deep Dish’ scarfs down 13 pounds of poutine to wear the crown of curds The Globe and Mail, May 23, 2010
- Comic-Con Day 1 Sign On San Diego, July 22, 2010
- "Records". Major League Eating. Retrieved November 5, 2015.
- "Wild Eggs National Pancake Eating Championship". Major League Eating. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- "Winner of 2015 Wing Bowl: 444 Wings Eaten in 26 Minutes". Daily Postal. January 31, 2015. Retrieved July 8, 2015.
- Albert, Andrew (January 30, 2015). "Wing Bowl 23: Patrick Bertoletti sets record, upsets Molly Schuyler". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Philadelphia Media Network. Retrieved July 8, 2015.
- Soverinsky, Jerry. (2008). Now That's Fast Food. Chicago Sun-Times (September 24, 2008) accessed August 16, 2009.
- Culinary student Patrick Bertoletti, 20, ate 13⁄4 pounds of ice cream in eight minutes to win the World Ice Cream Eating Championship. Ice Cream Reporter (June 20, 2006). accessed August 16, 2009.
- "Overeating for Fun and Profit", By Kabir Hamid, Chicago Reader, June 29, 2006. Retrieved February 1, 2010.
- Sula, Mike (June 19, 2015). "Swallow your shame at Taco in a Bag". Chicago Reader. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Groeninger, Alissa (July 3, 2011). "Chicago man hoping to be top dog in Nathan's eating contest". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved March 25, 2015.