Patrick Lyell Clawson (born March 30, 1951) is an American economist and Middle East scholar. He is currently the Director for Research at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy and senior editor of Middle East Quarterly.
Born in Alexandria, Virginia, Clawson graduated with a B.A. from Oberlin College in 1973 and earned a Ph.D. from The New School for Social Research in 1978. He taught at Seton Hall University from 1979–1981 and served as an economist for the International Monetary Fund from 1981 until 1985, when he took a position as a senior economist with the World Bank.
Clawson has published many articles on the Middle East in Foreign Affairs, International Economy, Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics and Middle East Journal. He has additionally published opinion pieces inThe New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post. Clawson was co-convenor of the Presidential Study Group organized by The Washington Institute. The group published its recommendations to the new Bush administration in the form of a monograph, Navigating Through Turbulence: America and the Middle East in a New Century, published by The Washington Institute in 2001.
Clawson has testified before congressional committees more than twenty times and has served as an expert witness in more than thirty federal cases against Iran.
On September 21, 2012, Clawson drew criticism for a presentation on September 21, 2012 in which he suggested the United States could consider the use of "crisis initiation" as a method of provoking Iran into war. This was part of a presentation given with Dennis Ross and David Makovsky at The Washington Institute for Near East Policy entitled How to Build U.S.-Israeli Coordination on Preventing an Iranian Nuclear Breakout.
Clawson first appeared on C-SPAN in a 1990 Forum as a Research Scholar for the Foreign Policy Research Institute, and has since appeared upwards of two dozen times.
- How to Eliminate Iran’s Nuclear Weapons. Claremont Review of Books, Vol. 6, No. 2 (Spring 2006)
- The 8 Books Ahmadinejad Doesn’t Want You to Read. Foreign Policy (June 24, 2009)
- No Nixon-to-China Moment Here. Foreign Policy (October 1, 2009)
- How Much Brinksmanship Will Israel Tolerate? The Atlantic (August 16, 2010)
- The U.S. and Israel: Same View of Threat, Different View on Force. The Atlantic (August 20, 2010)
- Sanctions Are Only a Stop-Gap. Foreign Affairs (May 8, 2012)
- Don’t Throw Iran’s Democrat’s Under the Bus. Foreign Policy (April 13, 2012)
- Will Iran Weather the Economic Storm? Foreign Policy (October 11, 2012)
- Obama, Offer Iran a Generous Deal. The Atlantic (January 16, 2013)
- Iran Can’t Agree to a Damn Thing. Foreign Policy (February 20, 2013)
- Stalemate’s End? Foreign Policy (September 19, 2013)
- Talk is Cheap. Foreign Affairs (September 24, 2013)
- The Andean Cocaine Industry. St. Martin’s Press, August 1996. (Co-authored with Rensselaer W. Lee III) ISBN 9780312124007
- Checking Iran’s Nuclear Ambitions. Strategic Studies Institute, 2004. (Co-authored with Henry D. Sokolski) ISBN 1-58487-149-0 (PDF)
- The Monetary History of Iran: From the Safavids to the Qajars. London: I.B. Tauris, 2013. (Co-authored with Rudi Matthee & Willem Floor) ISBN 9781780760797
- Ambitious Iran, Troubled Neighbors. Foreign Affairs (January 1, 1992) (Co-authored with Daniel Pipes)
- Eternal Iran: Continuity and Chaos. Palgrave Macmillan, 2005. (Co-authored with Michael Rubin) ISBN 1403962766 (PDF)
- Getting Ready for a Nuclear-Ready Iran. Strategic Studies Institute, 2005. (Co-authored with Henry D. Sokolski) ISBN 1-58487-211-X (PDF)
- Maxwell, Kenneth. Review of The Andean Cocaine Industry, by Patrick Clawson & Rensselaer W. Lee III, Foreign Affairs (November 1, 1996)
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Biography at RightWeb
- Biography at the Strategic Studies Institute (SSI)
- Patrick Clawson biography at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy
- References to Patrick Clawson at the Council on Foreign Relations
- Patrick Clawson discography at Discogs
- Writings by Patrick Clawson at The Atlantic
- Writings by Patrick Clawson at Foreign Affairs
- Writings by Patrick Clawson at the Middle East Forum
|This biography of an American economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
- "Patrick Lyell Clawson". Marquis Who's Who on the Web. Marquis Who's Who LLC. 2006.
- "Mr. Patrick Clawson". Strategic Studies Institute. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Patrick Clawson". Crunchbase. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "How to Build U.S.-Israeli Coordination on Preventing an Iranian Nuclear Breakout". The Washington Institute. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Geoffrey Ingersoll and Michael Kelley (26 September 2012). "Lobbyist Says Israel Should Create A 'False Flag' To Start A War With Iran".
- "Patrick Clawson" (Website). C-SPAN. C-SPAN. Retrieved 24 June 2019.