He has been the president of the international environmental NGO Mountain Wilderness from 2006 to 2010. He is mostly an ice climber, and is considered to be a pioneer of the modern wave of ice climbing.
He also opened routes in several other regions like Canada, Bolivia and Patagonia.
- Boivin-Gabarrou on the north face of Les Droites (with Jean-Marc Boivin), 1975
- Supercouloir and Gabarrou-Albinoni on Mont Blanc du Tacul
- Hypercouloir on Mont Blanc (with Pierre-Alain Steiner), 1982
- Divine Providence on the Grand Pilier d'Angle, 1984
- Gabarrou-Silvy on the Aiguille Sans Nom, 1985
- Directissime on the Grandes Jorasses (with Hervé Bouvard), 1986
- Aux amis disparus on the Matterhorn (with Lionel Daudet)
- Directissime de la Margerita on Monte Rosa (with Christian Appertet), 1992
- Alexis on Point Whymper of the Grandes Jorasses (with Benoît Robert), 1993
- A Leï on the Grandes Jorasses (with Philippe Batoux and Benoît Robert), February 2003
- Heidi on the Grandes Jorasses (with Philippe Batoux and Christophe Dumarest), 17–21 March 2005
- Ciao Walter on Mont-Blanc (with Simon Deniel and Ben O'Connor-Croft), 2012
- Brigite on the Arête des Grands Montets (with his wife Franca et Philippe Lansard), 5 April 2013
- René Croft between the Boivin-Gabarrou and the Barnoud-Marsigny on the north face of Les Droites (with Ben O'Connor-Croft), 25–26 April 2013
- Padre Pio, Une Echelle Vers le Ciel on the south face of Matterhorn, 2015 (see Alpinist article) 
- Cascade Notre Dame, 700 m, V, WI6 (with François Marsigny), 1984
- Freneysie Pascale, 1984
- Abominette, 700 m, IV, 5.8, WI3 (with Christophe Profit and Sylviane Tavernier), 1984
- Fantomastic, 700 m, V, WI6 (with François Marsigny), 1985
- Patagonic, 700 m, M6, V+, WI6, A1 (with Christophe Dumarest), 2003
- First descent of the north face of the Col de Peuterey, with Jean-Marc Boivin, 1977
- Winner, French championship of ski-mountaineering 1989, together with Pierre d'Alboy
- Sixth place, Pierra Menta 1989, together with Pierre d'Alboy
- Fourth, Pierra Menta 1991, together with Lionel Mailly
- First descent of the south face of the Tour Noir, with Ben O’Connor-Croft, 16 April 2013
- "State of the Art, The Alps", American Alpine Journal, Vol. 43, Issue 75, 2001, pp 140–47
- Moisy, Pauline (5 May 2013). "Patrick Gabarrou ouvre trois voies dans le massif du Mont-Blanc". Le Dauphiné. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "A Stairway to Heaven on the Matterhorn - Alpinist.com". www.alpinist.com. Retrieved 16 April 2023.