Patrick J. Schiltz
|Patrick Joseph Schiltz|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota|
April 28, 2006
|Appointed by||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Richard H. Kyle|
|Born||Patrick Joseph Schiltz
1960 (age 56–57)
|Education||College of St. Scholastica B.A.
Harvard Law School J.D.
Patrick Joseph Schiltz (born 1960) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
Education and career
Born in Duluth, Minnesota, Schiltz received a Bachelor of Arts degree from College of St. Scholastica in 1981 and a Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School in 1985. He served as a law clerk for Antonin Scalia from 1985 to 1987: the first term while then Judge Scalia served on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and the second term while Justice Scalia served on the Supreme Court. In 1987 Schiltz returned to Minnesota, where he worked in private practice until 1995, when he joined the faculty of University of Notre Dame Law School. While at Notre Dame, Schiltz authored an article, “On Being a Happy, Healthy, and Ethical Member of an Unhappy, Unhealthy, and Unethical Profession,” which has been cited over 500 times in the secondary literature. After he left Notre Dame in 2000, Schiltz was an associate dean at University of St. Thomas School of Law in Minneapolis until 2003 and a law professor there from 2003 to 2006.
Federal judicial service
On 14 December 2005, President George W. Bush nominated Schiltz to serve on the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota after Judge Richard H. Kyle assumed senior status. The Senate confirmed Schiltz's appointment on 26 April 2006, and he received his commission two days later.
As of November 2015, Schiltz sits on the bench in the Minneapolis (Fourth) Division of the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota. Judge Schiltz's opinions are publicly available on FDsys, a database providing electronic access to government documents.
- Patrick J. Schiltz, “On Being a Happy, Healthy, and Ethical Member of an Unhappy, Unhealthy, and Unethical Profession,” 52 Vand. L. Rev. 871 (1999), HTML, PDF.
- "Citations to On being a happy, healthy, and ethical member of an unhappy, unhealthy, and unethical profession". Google Scholar. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "The Honorable Patrick J. Schiltz U.S. District Judge, District of Minnesota". U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Minnesota Division of Counties" (PDF). U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Search results for documents from the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota authored by Patrick Schiltz". FDsys. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- Patrick J. Schiltz at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Richard H. Kyle
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota