Photo Credit: Rahi Rezvani
|Born||Patrick Ray Leonard
March 14, 1956
Crystal Falls Michigan, U.S.
|Occupation||Songwriter, keyboardist, film composer, music producer|
Patrick Ray Leonard (born March 14, 1956 in Crystal Falls Michigan) is an American songwriter, keyboardist, film composer, and music producer best known for his longtime collaboration with Madonna on many different projects including her albums True Blue (1986), Who's That Girl (1987), Like a Prayer (1989), I'm Breathless (1990) and Ray of Light (1998). He also scored Madonna's 2008 documentary I Am Because We Are, played keyboards with Madonna at Live Aid (1985), and was musical director and keyboardist on her tours The Virgin Tour (1985) and Who's That Girl World Tour (1987).
Leonard has worked with a wide variety of artists including late-period Pink Floyd and solo Roger Waters, Elton John, Leonard Cohen, Bryan Ferry, Julian Lennon, Rod Stewart, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac, Jeff Beck, Bryan Adams, Peter Cetera, Jewel, Blue October, Duncan Sheik, Marianne Faithfull, and Robbie Robertson. He was half of the art-pop group Toy Matinee with Kevin Gilbert and Third Matinee with Richard Page. He has also acted as composer for a variety of films and stage productions.
More recently Leonard has been collaborating with Leonard Cohen, acting as a writer and producer for 2012’s Old Ideas and 2014’s Popular Problems, and co-writer, co-producer of 2016’s “You Want it Darker.”  "Nevermind," a song from Popular Problems that Leonard co-wrote and produced, was featured as the title theme for Season 2 of HBO's True Detective. Speaking of Patrick in 2016, Leonard Cohen remarked that, "he is such a magnificent composer. I don’t think there’s anybody working today with those kinds of skills." Leonard is currently working on a Broadway musical and a modular synthesizer project.
In 1997, Leonard released the instrumental album Rivers on his own record label, Unitone. Leonard has three children: a daughter Jessica, a writer (for whom Madonna's song "Dear Jessie" was written), and two sons, Sean, who plays keyboards, and Jordan, a projection mapper and VJ under the name Pickels Visuals.
Leonard gained entry into the music business with late 1970s Chicago-based pomp rock band Trillion, which featured future Toto singer Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen on lead vocals. The early days of his career also featured short stints as a keyboardist in Frank Zappa’s band in 1976 and The Allman Brothers Band in 1980.
Work in film and stage
Selected film credits
- Leonard composed the score for At Close Range (1986). Directed by James Foley and starring Sean Penn and Christopher Walken. He also co-wrote and produced the song “Live to Tell” by Madonna, featured heavily in the film.
- Composed score for Nothing in Common (1986). Directed by Garry Marshall and starring Tom Hanks, Jackie Gleason, and Eva Marie Saint.
- Composed score for With Honors (1994). Directed by Alex Keshishian and starring Brendan Fraser and Joe Pesci.
- Composed score for the documentary I Am Because We Are (2008). Directed by Nathan Rissman and written and produced by Madonna.
- Composed score for Triumph of the Dream (2012). A documentary by photographer and filmmaker Norman Seeff that explores the inner creative process of the scientists at work on NASA’s Mars Rover Mission.
- Composed score for Lullaby (2014). Directed by Andrew Levitas and starring Garrett Hedlund, Richard Jenkins, and Amy Adams.
Selected stage credits
- Leonard wrote the music for The Ten Commandments: The Musical, an adaptation of the French musical Les Dix Commandements created by Élie Chouraqui, alongside lyricist Maribeth Derry. It debuted at the Kodak Theatre on September 21, 2004 and was directed by Robert Iscove with choreography by Travis Payne and costumes by Max Azria. The original cast featured Val Kilmer, Lauren Kennedy, and Adam Lambert.
- In 2010, Leonard worked with the Martha Graham Dance Company to recompose the music for a pivotal Graham piece featured in the company’s 2010 restaging of American Document. The work premiered at the Joyce Theatre on June 8, 2010.
Selected music credits
- Madonna (1985-1990, 1994, 1998, 2008)
- Musical director – The Virgin Tour (1985); Who's That Girl World Tour (1987)
- Writer and producer – from True Blue (1986): "Live to Tell" "La Isla Bonita", "Where's the Party", "White Heat", "Love Makes the World Go Round"; from Who's That Girl (1987): "Who's That Girl", "The Look of Love" (1987); from Like a Prayer (1989): "Like a Prayer", "Cherish", "Till Death Do Us Part", "Promise to Try", "Pray for Spanish Eyes", "Act of Contrition", "Dear Jessie", "Oh Father", "Supernatural"; from I'm Breathless (1990): "Hanky Panky", "Cry Baby", "He's a Man", "Now I'm Following You" and "Something to Remember" (which was also used as the title for the 1995 ballad compilation Something to Remember); from With Honors (1994): "I'll Remember"; from Ray of Light (1998): "Frozen", "Nothing Really Matters", "Has to Be", "Sky Fits Heaven", "Skin"
- Producer – "To Have and Not to Hold" (1998) "The Power of Good-Bye" (1998), "I'm Going Bananas" (1990) and "Open Your Heart" (1986).
- Music score – I Am Because We Are (2008) - Leonard scored the music for the documentary which was written, narrated and produced by Madonna.
- Bryan Ferry – co-produced the album Bête Noire (1987)
- Duncan Sheik – produced the album Daylight
- Nick Kamen – co-written the song "Tell Me" with Madonna (1988)
- Anna Vissi – Apagorevmeno, written and produced songs, including the title track
- Jody Watley – "Most of All"
- Julie Brown – "Boys 'R a Drug" (1987)
- Donna De Lory – co-written the song "Just a Dream" with Madonna (1992)
- Pink Floyd – "Yet Another Movie", co-producer and musician
- Roger Waters – Amused to Death (1992), co-producer and musician
- Bon Jovi – co-produced the album This Left Feels Right
- Fleetwood Mac – "Love Shines", "Heart of Stone",
- Julian Lennon – produced album, keyboards Mr. Jordan, and co-wrote the song, "Make It Up to You" (1989)
- Pat Monahan – Last of Seven
- Williams Brothers – "Some Become Strangers" (1987)
- Carly Simon – "If It Wasn't Love" (1986)
- Boz Scaggs – "Cool Running" (1988)
- Cheap Trick - "Everybody Knows" (2009)
- Peter Cetera – "One Good Woman"
- Lara Fabian – written and produced 3 songs for her first English-language album, Lara Fabian: "Part Of Me", "Givin' Up On You" and "Yeliel (My Angel)"
- Natalie Imbruglia – "That Day"
- Jewel – produced the album, Spirit, and co-wrote the song, "Hands"
- David Darling – "96 Years"
- Ilse DeLange – produced the album The Great Escape (2006)
- Elton John-Songs from the West Coast-(producer)
- Elton John – The Road to El Dorado (producer and co-writer of "Someday Out Of The Blue"), Songs From The West Coast (producer)
- Ken Hensley (ex-Uriah Heep) – From Time to Time (1994), keyboards on "There Comes a Time"
- Leonard Cohen – Old Ideas (2012), co-writer and musician
- Leonard Cohen – Popular Problems (2014), co-writer and producer
- Marianne Faithfull – co-written the song "Mother Wolf" on Give My Love to London with Marianne Faithfull
- Robbie Robertson - co-wrote the song "Skinwalker" on Music for the Native Americans with Robbie Robertson
- Plantier, Boris. "Patrick Leonard remembers his musical memories and his work with Madonna". Yuzu Melodies. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Patrick Leonard | Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "You Want It Darker - Leonard Cohen's 2016 Studio Album". www.leonardcohenfiles.com. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "A History of True Detective's New Theme Song, 'Nevermind'". Vulture. 2015-06-22. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Leonard Cohen Corrects Himself: 'I Intend to Stick Around Until 120'". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "leonardyowell". leonardyowell. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Rivers, Rounder / Umgd, 2000-01-01, retrieved 2016-10-10
- "leonardyowell". leonardyowell. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Benson, Carol; Metz, A. Madonna the Companion Two Decades of Commentary (metz/benson). Music Sales Group. ISBN 9780857128164.
- Plantier, Boris. "Patrick Leonard remembers his musical memories and his work with Madonna". Yuzu Melodies. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Ebert, Roger. "At Close Range Movie Review & Film Summary (1986) | Roger Ebert". www.rogerebert.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- Ebert, Roger. "Nothing in Common Movie Review (1986) | Roger Ebert". www.rogerebert.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Movie Review - - Review/Film; Some Collegiate Help for a Homeless Zany - NYTimes.com". www.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- Rissman, Nathan (2009-03-25), I Am Because We Are, retrieved 2016-10-11
- "PHOTOGRAPHY ARCHIVE". normanseeff.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "'Lullaby' to Feature Music by Patrick Leonard | Film Music Reporter". Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- Iscove, Robert (2006-11-21), The Ten Commandments: The Musical, retrieved 2016-10-11
- http://www.newyorkcool.com, New York Cool,. "New York Cool - Martha Graham Dance Company". www.newyorkcool.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.