Patrick Lipton Robinson
|Judge of the International Court of Justice|
|Born||29 January 1944|
|Alma mater||University of the West Indies
King's College London
Patrick Lipton Robinson, O.J. (born 29 January 1944 in Jamaica), is a Jamaican member of the International Court of Justice for the term commencing February 2015. Prior to this he was formerly the President of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, a position he held between 2008 and 2011 during which time his Chef de Cabinet was Gabrielle Louise McIntyre. He was first elected to the Tribunal in 1998 and has been re-elected twice since. In 2004, he presided over the trial of Slobodan Milošević, the former Yugoslav president and the first former head of state to be tried for war crimes.
He was educated at Jamaica College, University of the West Indies (BA, 1964), the University of London (LLB, 1968) and King's College London (LLM, 1972). He is the recipient of the national award, Order of Jamaica, awarded by the government of Jamaica for services to International Law and Honorary Doctorate Degrees from the University of the West Indies, Jamaica, and the Christian Theological Seminary in Indianapolis. He is the recipient of the award of Honorary Membership of the American Society of International Law for 2011.
He is the author of the book Jamaican Athletics – A Model for 2012 and the World.
Other positions held
- 1988–1995: Commissioner, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights
- 1991–1996: Member, International Law Commission
- Since 1996: Member, International Bioethics Committee
- 1995–1996: Foreign member, Haiti Truth and Justice Commission
- 1997: Chairman, United Nations Commission on Transnational Corporations
- 1998–2015: Judge, International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia
- 2008–2011: President, International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia
- Since 2015: Judge, International Court of Justice
-  (Biography - ICTY page)
-  Jamaican Athletics - A Model for 2012 and the World
- on YouTube
- Lecture by Patrick Lipton Robinson entitled Fairness and Efficiency in the Proceedings of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in the Lecture Series of the United Nations Audiovisual Library of International Law
|This Jamaican biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a lawyer, judge or jurist from the Caribbean is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|