Patrick McHale (artist)
McHale at 2014 NYCC
November 17, 1983|
New Jersey, U.S.
|Occupation||Animator, storyboard artist, filmmaker, writer, creative director|
Patrick "Pat" McHale (born November 17, 1983 in New Jersey) is an American writer, storyboard artist, animator, songwriter and independent filmmaker. He is best known for being a writer and creative director on the animated series Adventure Time for Cartoon Network, which he contributed to during its first five seasons, and creating his own Emmy Award-winning mini-series, Over the Garden Wall.
Life and career
Patrick McHale graduated from the California Institute of the Arts in 2006 with a BFA in Character Animation. He began his professional career at Cartoon Network Studios in 2007, writing and storyboarding on The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, helping to create 10 episodes in total. The one-shot character Punsie McKale was inspired by and modeled after McHale.
After leaving Flapjack, he joined fellow CalArts alum and Flapjack storyboard artist Pendleton Ward to help develop Ward's Adventure Time short into an animated series. Once the show got picked up, McHale stayed on board as the show's creative director through the show's second season. He then moved to New York City with his wife and fellow filmmaker Jiwook Kim. However, he continued to freelance for the show, writing occasional songs and providing input in story outlines that concluded during the middle of season five.
In October 2011, he started work on an animated short entitled Tome of the Unknown, which was produced as part of Cartoon Network's Shorts Development Program. Unlike the other pilots that ended up being released online on Cartoon Network Video, the eight-minute film was selected to be showcased during the festival circuit throughout 2013 and early 2014, eventually picking up The Bruce Corwin Award for Best Animated Short Film at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival. The short became the basis for a 10-part miniseries entitled Over the Garden Wall, which premiered over five consecutive nights in November 2014. Tome of the Unknown was eventually streamed online in May 2015.
In 2015, McHale, as executive producer and creator of Over the Garden Wall, won an Emmy for Best Animated Program. That same year, McHale's Over the Garden Wall won Best Animated Feature at the Ottawa International Animation Festival.
- Simon and Pig on Holiday (student film, 2003)
- Body (student film, 2004)
- Candle (student film, 2005)
- Apple Bears in the Desert (2011)
- Efforts (2011)
- Fall Guy (2011)
- Tome of the Unknown (Cartoon Network Studios, 2013)
- The Zombie (music video for C.W. Stoneking, 2016)
|2007–2008||The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack||Writer and storyboard artist|
|Adventure Time||Creative director (Seasons 1-2), story, writer & storyboard artist (The Enchiridion!)|
|2014||Over the Garden Wall||Creator, executive producer, story, writer, storyboard artist & songwriter|
|2015–2016||Gravity Falls||Voice role as Hectorgon; 3 episodes|
|2014||Blackford Manor||Writer and voice director|
- "Adventure Time (TV Series 2010–2018)".
- "Patrick McHale". IMDb.
- "The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack (TV Series 2008–2010)".
- "Tome of the Unknown (2013)".
- "2014 Award Winning Films Announced". 9 February 2014.
- "Patrick McHale on Etsy". Etsy.
- Moser, Cassidee (15 May 2015). "Adventure Time Studio Creating Costume Quest Cartoon".
- "'Song of the Sea,' 'Over the Garden Wall' Win Reubens". 26 May 2015.
- "Reuben Awards Winners 2015".
- "Over The Garden Wall". Television Academy.
- "'Small People with Hats,' 'Over the Garden Wall' Top Ottawa 2015". 19 September 2015.
- "Guillermo del Toro's Stop-Motion Movie 'Pinocchio' Adds 'Over the Garden Wall' Creator". 23 January 2017.
- "'The Zombie' by Patrick McHale". 27 July 2016.
- CartoonHangover (28 August 2014). "NEW CARTOON: "Blackford Manor" (Cartoon Hangover Shorts # 10)" – via YouTube.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Patrick McHale (artist)|