Patrick Allan Morrow
|Born||October 18, 1952|
Invermere, British Columbia
|Known for||Summiter of the Seven Summits|
Patrick Allan Morrow, CM (born October 18, 1952 in Invermere, British Columbia) is a Canadian photographer and mountain climber. In 1986 he was the first person to climb the Seven Summits in the Carstensz-Version.
Morrow climbed Mount Everest, the highest peak of the world, with the "Canadian Mount Everest Expedition 1982". Between 1977 and 1986 he climbed the Seven Summits in the more difficult Carstensz-Version ("Messner list"). He wrote a book about this process, Beyond Everest: Quest for the Seven Summits, in which he argued the veracity of the Carstensz-Version over the Bass List.
Morrow was the first person to summit all the seven peaks on the Messner List of Seven Summits while Richard Bass was the first to complete the Bass List. Morrow was the first person to climb all the eight peaks on both lists (Bass and Messner).
Morrow has other high altitude mountaineering achievements, and in 1987, he was made a Member of the Order of Canada .. Professionally Morrow was a still photographer until about 2001 when he transitioned to video.
Climbs of Seven Summits
- Mount McKinley, North America 
- Aconcagua, South America 
- Mount Everest, Asia 
- Elbrus, Europe 
- Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa 
- Mount Kosciuszko, Australia  (Bass list)
- Vinson Massif, Antarctica 
- Puncak Jaya (Carstensz Pyramid), Oceania  (Messner list).
- abc-of-mountaineering.com "History of the Quest for the Seven Summits (2004)" Archived 2015-10-17 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- thecanadianencyclopedia.com - Patrick Allan Morrow
- Rowland Smith (1 January 2006). Postcolonizing the Commonwealth: Studies in Literature and Culture. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press. pp. 65–66. ISBN 978-0-88920-607-6.
- Jahoda, Petr (2006). History of 7 Summits project — who was first?. carstenszpapua.com. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Mike Hamill (4 May 2012). Climbing the Seven Summits: A Comprehensive Guide to the Continents' Highest Peaks. The Mountaineers Books. pp. 24–25. ISBN 978-1-59485-649-5.
- "Mr Patrick Alan Morrow, C.M." Office of the Governor General of Canada. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Patrick Morrow, 1986, Beyond Everest - Quest For the Seven Summits, Camden House, 175 pgs, 125 colour photos, soft cover, ISBN 0-920656-46-3.
|This biographical article related to Canadian sports is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to climbing or mountaineering is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|