|UKIP Media and Sport Spokesperson|
1 December 2016 – 27 July 2017
|Preceded by||position established|
|Special Political Advisor for the|
Leader of the UK Independence Party
28 November 2016 – 27 July 2017
|Preceded by||Office established|
|Succeeded by||Jonathan Arnott|
|UKIP Economics Spokesman|
24 July 2014 – 18 August 2015
|Preceded by||Steven Woolfe|
|Succeeded by||Mark Reckless|
7 April 2017 – 27 July 2017
|Preceded by||Mark Reckless|
|Member of the European Parliament|
for the East of England
|Assumed office |
1 July 2014
|Preceded by||Robert Sturdy|
|Born||29 August 1965|
|Political party||Social Democratic Party|
UK Independence Party
|Alma mater||King's College, Cambridge|
City University London
Patrick James O'Flynn (born 29 August 1965) is a Member of the European Parliament for the East of England region. He was elected for the UK Independence Party in 2014 but defected to the Social Democratic Party in November 2018.
Early life and journalism
He read Economics at King's College, Cambridge, graduating in 1987. He subsequently earned a Diploma in Journalism from City University London. He previously worked as Chief Political Commentator and then Political Editor of the Daily Express.
He was the UKIP candidate in Cambridge at the 2015 general election. He came fifth, with 5.2% of the vote, only narrowly saving his deposit. After the disappointing election result he called UKIP leader Nigel Farage "snarling, thin-skinned and aggressive".
He was the running-mate for Lisa Duffy in the UK Independence Party leadership election, September 2016.
O'Flynn joined the SDP in November 2018. He cited UKIP leader Gerard Batten's appointment of Tommy Robinson as an adviser as a key reason for his departure from the party. In defecting, O'Flynn became the first MEP to sit in the European Parliament for the SDP (though in 1984 Michael Gallagher MEP had joined the original SDP).
- "Patrick James O'FLYNN". Debrett's People of Today. Archived from the original on 4 July 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "UKIP appoints Express journalist Patrick O'Flynn as director of comms". Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "UKIP is delighted to announce that party membership has reached yet another record high". United Kingdom Independence Party. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- Rowena Mason (14 May 2015). "Nigel Farage is a 'snarling, thin-skinned and aggressive' man, says campaign chief". The Guardian. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- Stone, Jon (27 November 2018). "Ukip MEP Patrick O'Flynn quits party in protest at growing Tommy Robinson links". The Independent. Retrieved 27 November 2018.
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|