|Born:||June 19, 1976|
New Orleans, Louisiana
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school:||Edna Karr (New Orleans)|
|NFL Draft:||1998 / Round: 2 / Pick: 44|
|As a player:|
|As a coach:|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at NFL.com · PFR|
Patrick Frank Surtain Sr. (// sər-TANN; born June 19, 1976) is an American former professional football player who was a cornerback for 11 seasons in the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the Southern Miss Golden Eagles. He was selected by the Miami Dolphins in the second round of the 1998 NFL Draft, and also played for the Kansas City Chiefs.
Surtain attended high school at Edna Karr High School, where he completed 44 of 97 passes for 753 yards with seven touchdowns and rushed 137 times for 784 yards with 12 touchdowns as a quarterback. He also played baseball and ran track, and was also a member of the state title basketball and football teams in his senior year.
Surtain attended the University of Southern Mississippi, where he was a four-year letterman and two-year starter. In his junior year, Surtain started all 11 games and accumulated 84 tackles, 8 passes defended and six interceptions.
Surtain was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the second round of the 1998 NFL Draft. He played for the Dolphins from 1998–2004 and was selected to the Pro Bowl three times in 2002, 2003, and 2004. He finished with 344 tackles, 6.5 sacks, and 29 interceptions in 108 career games with the Dolphins.
Kansas City Chiefs
Surtain was released by the Chiefs on February 24, 2009. He finished his career with the team with 192 tackles, one sack, and eight interceptions in 55 games.
Surtain was hired as a defensive assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins on February 18, 2022.
NFL career statistics
In 2016, Surtain became head coach at American Heritage School. His son, Patrick Surtain II, who played for him at American Heritage, was one of the top-ranked high school football players of the class of 2018 and played college football for the Alabama Crimson Tide. Like his father, Patrick II plays cornerback, and was drafted No. 9 overall in the 2021 NFL draft by the Denver Broncos. He is married to Michelle Surtain (née Webster) and has 3 children, Patrick II, Paris, and Parker.
- "Patrick Surtain Stats". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved March 7, 2022.
- "Patrick Surtain, #23, Cornerback, Kansas City Chiefs". Kansas City Chiefs. Archived from the original on February 29, 2008. Retrieved March 6, 2008.
- Former Dolphin to sign 7-year deal worth $50.8M
- "Chiefs announce four transactions". Kansas City Chiefs. February 24, 2009. Archived from the original on February 27, 2009. Retrieved February 24, 2009.
- "Patrick Surtain Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- "Where Are They Now: Patrick Surtain". Archived from the original on January 6, 2017.
- 10 sons of NFL players expected to star in high school football