Turner during the 2011 NFL season.
|Born:||May 19, 1987|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school:||Goodpasture Christian School|
|NFL Draft:||2009 / Round: 3 / Pick: 87|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Patrick Steven Turner (born May 19, 1987) is a former American football wide receiver. He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football at Southern California. He was also a member of the New York Jets.
High school career
Turner prepped at Goodpasture Christian School in Madison, Tennessee, where he was a highly touted receiver, winning numerous All-American awards during his Sophomore, Junior and Senior years. Turner participated in the 2005 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. He was also on his high school's basketball team until his sophomore year. He also participated on the track team for all four years.
As a freshman during the 2005 season, Turner was an often-used backup wide receiver, catching 12 passes for 170 yards and 2 touchdowns. He appeared in 12 games, missing only the UCLA game due to injury.
As a sophomore, he moved up the depth chart to be the Trojans' third receiver under the John David Booty-led offense, after junior receiver Dwayne Jarrett and senior receiver Steve Smith. Turner stepped up several times when both Jarrett and Smith were injured and missed games over the season, including 12 catches for 116 yards against Washington.
Going into 2007 spring training, Turner was projected to be the leading receiver of the 2007 Trojan squad in the fall, his junior season, following in USC's recent line of star receivers starting with Mike Williams (who previously wore number 1) and Jarrett. He returned some of the most impressive plays during the Spring.
In 2007, Turner finished second on the team in receiving yards with 569 yards, following only TE Fred Davis, who led the team with 881 yards. With the departure of Davis to the NFL, Turner was expected to step up his production and become the number one option for the Trojans in 2008.
New York Jets
On September 5, 2010, Turner was claimed off waivers by the New York Jets. Turner was later waived by the team on September 7, 2010. On September 10, 2010, Turner was re-signed by the team and placed on the practice squad. On September 25, 2010, Turner was added to the Jets active roster.
Following the team's Week Four matchup against the Buffalo Bills, Turner, along with teammate David Clowney, were released on October 4, 2010, to make room for defensive tackle Howard Green and wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who was returning from a four-game suspension. Turner was later re-signed to the team's practice squad on October 6, 2010.
The Jets activated Turner from the practice squad on November 18, 2010 as veteran receiver Jerricho Cotchery had suffered a groin injury. He was waived on September 3, 2011. He was re-signed to the practice squad on September 4, 2011. Turner was signed to the active roster on September 14.
- Lemming, Tom (May 20, 2005), "Top 100 players — where are they going?", USA Today
- Mandel, Stewart (July 18, 2007), "Bad company", SI.com
- Klein, Gary (March 20, 2007), "USC begins spring football practice", Los Angeles Times
- Klein, Gary (March 21, 2007), "Turner knows USC is counting on him", Los Angeles Times
- Klein, Gary (April 4, 2007), "Dennis optimistic about a sixth season", Los Angeles Times
- Miller, Ted (February 2, 2009), "Pac-10 NFL combine invitees", ESPN.com, archived from the original on February 10, 2009, retrieved February 2, 2009
- Vrentas, Jenny (September 5, 2010). "Jets cut David Clowney, claim three off waivers". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- Jets PR Department (September 7, 2010). "P.Turner Waived; Chauncey Signed to P-Squad". New York Jets. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- Cimini, Rich (September 10, 2010). "Cimini Tweet". Twitter. Retrieved September 10, 2010.
- Graham, Tim (September 25, 2010). "Jets add Patrick Turner to face Dolphins". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 26, 2010.
- Vrentas, Jenny (October 4, 2010). "Jets cut David Clowney and Pat Turner to make space for Santonio Holmes, Howard Green". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved October 4, 2010.
- Vrentas, Jenny (October 6, 2010). "Receiver Santonio Holmes returns to Jets practice field". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved October 6, 2010.
- Mehta, Manish (November 18, 2010). "Jerricho Cotchery likely out for Sunday; WR Patrick Turner called up from practice squad". New York Daily News. Mortimer Zuckerman. Archived from the original on November 18, 2010. Retrieved November 18, 2010.
- Mehta, Manish (September 3, 2011). "Jets trim roster to 53; make two trades". New York Daily News. Mortimer Zuckerman. Archived from the original on September 13, 2011. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- Vrentas, Jenny (September 4, 2011). "Jets awarded four players off waivers, including QB Kevin O'Connell; cut Aaron Maybin". The Star-Ledger. Advance Publications. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- Jets Media Relations Department (11 September 2012). "WR Turner Waived, LB Sapp Back on P-Squad". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 11 September 2012. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- Orr, Conor (24 September 2012). "Bryan Thomas, re-signed by Jets, said he was upset after being cut". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 24 September 2012. Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- Orr, Conor (2 October 2012). "Jets sign free agent RB/FB Lex Hilliard". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 2 October 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Patrick Turner.|