Wintour speaking in 2012
|Born||1 November 1954|
Corpus Christi College, Oxford
Eleanor Trego Baker
|Relatives||Anna Wintour (sister)|
Patrick Wintour (born 1 November 1954) is a British journalist and Political Editor of The Guardian newspaper. He was formerly Chief Political Correspondent of The Guardian for two periods, from 1988–1996, and 2000–2006, and in the intervening period was Political Editor of The Observer newspaper.
Early life and education
Wintour was born on 1 November 1954, and is the son of former Evening Standard editor Charles Vere Wintour by his marriage to Eleanor Trego Wintour (née Baker). His sister, Anna Wintour, is the current Editor-in-Chief of the American edition of Vogue magazine. His brother Jim arranged equestrian events at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
Life and career
Known for his contacts inside the Labour Party, Wintour began his career in journalism on the New Statesman from 1976 to 1982, before joining The Guardian as chief Labour Correspondent in 1983. From 1988, he was the paper's Chief Political Correspondent, 1988–1996, and then Political Editor of The Observer, The Guardian's Sunday sister paper, until 2000. He returned to The Guardian as Chief Political Correspondent in 2000 before being appointed political editor in 2006, on the retirement of Michael White. Wintour won the British Press Awards "Political Journalist of the Year" award in 2007. In October 2015, it emerged that Wintour is to move to a new role as The Guardian's Diplomatic Editor. In December Anushka Asthana and Heather Stewart were appointed to succeed him in a job share arrangement. All three will take up their new roles at the beginning of 2016.
Wintour's second wife is Rachel Sylvester, a journalist for The Times. The couple have two children, while Wintour also has two older children from his former marriage to the journalist Madeleine Bunting.
- My job: Patrick Wintour, political editor, The Guardian. Press Gazette. 28 May 2007.
- 'Wintour, Patrick (born 1 Nov 1954)' in Who's Who 2011 (London: A. & C. Black, 2011)
- Press Gazette, Roll of Honour, Retrieved 24 July 2011
- Turvill, William (21 October 2015). "Seumas Milne leaves Guardian for Labour as political editor Patrick Wintour moves to diplomatic role". Press Gazette. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- Jackson, Jasper (11 December 2015). "Anushka Asthana and Heather Stewart to share role of Guardian political editor". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- Patrick Wintour on Twitter
- My job: Patrick Wintour, political editor, The Guardian, Press Gazette, 28 May 2007
|This article about a British journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|