Patrick and Beatrice Haggerty Museum of Art
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Location||Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The Partick and Beatrice Haggerty Museum of Art, sometimes referred to simply as "the Haggerty", is located at 13th and Clybourn Streets on the campus of Marquette University in downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States. The museum opened in 1984 following a university collaborative effort that was chaired by professor Curtis L. Carter. The construction site was decorated by a mural called On the Fence by American artist and social activist, Keith Haring.
The construction of the museum was made possible by a donation from alumnus and co-founder of Texas Instruments, Inc., Patrick E. Haggerty, and his wife, Beatrice, for whom the museum is named. Haggerty and his wife donated an art collection to the university. Another important benefactor of the museum is David A. Straz, Jr., a Marquette alumnus and philanthropist. The current director of the Haggerty is Wally Mason.
- Gustave Caillebotte, La Machine de Marly, ca. 1875
- Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux, Figaro, 1873
- Marc Chagall, a set of 105 colored etchings known as The Bible Series
- Pieter Claeissens, Madonna and Child, 1550.
- Salvador Dalí's Madonna of Port Lligat, 1948. The museum also owns a portfolio of Dalí's Zodiac series. The portfolio is the 32nd of 50 editions.
- Otto Dix, From the Catacombs in Palermo I, ca. 1923–24
- Jacob Lawrence, Birth, 1948
- Roy Lichtenstein
- Nicolaes Maes, Portrait of Three Children as Ceres, Ganymede and Diana, 1673
- Gilles Mostaert, "Entry Into Jerusalem"
- Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, Divan Japonais, 1892–93
- Francesco Trevisiani, "Saint Peter in Penitence"
- Carle van Loo, The Resurrection (La résurrection du Christ), 1734
- Jacques Villon, Maternité, c. 1948, and Prometheus Liberated from his Chains, 1956
- Andy Warhol, Marilyn, 1967, as well as Liz, 1964; New England Clam Chowder; and Tomato Beef Noodle-Os.
Past exhibits at the Haggerty Museum of Art include the works of the following artists:
- Jasper Johns
- Roy Lichtenstein
- Claes Oldenburg
- Frank Stella
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- Ellsworth Kelly
- Ray Parker, American abstract expressionist
- Martin Kline, American abstract painter and sculptor
The Milwaukee High School of the Arts and Pius XI High School, two local high schools with programs in visual arts, have a strong relationship with the Haggerty Museum. The museum hosts the week-long Pius Annual Fine Art Festival. The Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design, a nearby arts college unaffiliated with Marquette, often hosts discussions on-site at the Haggerty. Art discussions and poetry readings sponsored by Marquette University are held regularly.