Patrick van Aanholt
Van Aanholt playing for Vitesse in 2012
|Full name||Patrick John Miguel van Aanholt|
|Date of birth||29 August 1990|
|Place of birth||'s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Left Back|
|2003–2005||FC Den Bosch|
|2009–2010||→ Coventry City (loan)||20||(0)|
|2010||→ Newcastle United (loan)||7||(0)|
|2011||→ Leicester City (loan)||12||(1)|
|2011||→ Wigan Athletic (loan)||3||(0)|
|2012–2014||→ Vitesse (loan)||83||(7)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:00, 24 January 2016 (UTC).
He began his professional career at Chelsea, where he was used sparingly, spending time on loan at five other clubs. In 2014, he joined Sunderland for around £1.5 million.
Van Aanholt represented the Netherlands at numerous youth levels before making his full international debut in 2013.
Van Aanholt joined Chelsea's youth ranks in 2007, making his professional debut while on loan at Coventry City on 9 August 2009 in a 2–1 Football League Championship win over Ipswich Town. He was later recalled to Chelsea in December due to the exit of many players due to the African Nations Cup.
Van Aanholt was first selected for Chelsea in an FA Cup tie away to Preston North End in the 2009–10 edition of the Cup, wearing the squad number 52, but did not make an appearance, remaining on the bench. He made his Chelsea debut on 24 March 2010 in a 0–5 away win at Portsmouth, replacing Yuri Zhirkov at left-back after 71 minutes. He then made his home debut, on 27 March 2010, against Aston Villa in a 7–1 victory, again as a substitute. On 29 January 2010, Van Aanholt joined Newcastle United on a one-month loan deal after regular left back José Enrique suffered an injury. He provided cover for the Spaniard, sustaining Newcastle's productive left flank alongside Jonás Gutiérrez. Van Aanholt played his last game in the 1–2 away victory at Watford.
Van Aanholt scored his first career goal on 22 September 2010 in the 4–3 defeat to former club Newcastle United in the League Cup. On 26 January 2011, he joined Leicester City on loan until the end of the season. He made his debut in a 1–0 win over Sheffield United on 1 February 2011, and suffered a torn muscle in his thigh at the end of the month after playing six games. Van Aanholt scored his first senior league goal in a 4–0 victory over Burnley on 9 April 2011.
On transfer deadline day, 31 August 2011, Van Aanholt signed for Wigan Athletic on a season-long loan deal. Van Aanholt's loan spell, originally a season-long arrangement, was later terminated by mutual consent between all three parties. During this uneventful loan spell, Van Aanholt played three league matches and one League Cup tie for the Latics, but did not feature in their first team after 1 October.
Vitesse (loan spells)
On 6 January 2012, Van Aanholt returned to Chelsea during a season-long loan at Wigan Athletic. Nine days later, he signed for Dutch club Vitesse on loan until the end of the season, alongside fellow Chelsea teammates Tomáš Kalas and Ulises Dávila. On 11 July 2012, Van Aanholt rejoined Vitesse on a new loan deal for the 2012–13 season. On 7 July 2013, the Vitesse loan deal was extended for the 2013–14 season. He made his first start of the 2013–14 season in a 1–1 first leg draw away at Petrolul Ploiești in the UEFA Europa League, a match in which he was booked in the 86th minute. He went on to start eight of the next nine league fixtures for Vitesse, including earning an assist in a 1–1 draw at Roda JC.
On 25 July 2014, Van Aanholt left Chelsea and signed for Sunderland for an undisclosed fee, believed to be between £1.5 and £2 million, on a four-year contract. He made his competitive debut on 16 August as Sunderland began their Premier League campaign away to West Bromwich Albion, assisting Sebastian Larsson for the final goal of a 2–2 draw. On 3 November, as Sunderland won 1–3 at Crystal Palace, Van Aanholt set up the opening goal for Steven Fletcher, but was later stretchered off in the first-half with a shoulder injury and replaced by Wes Brown. Van Aanholt scored his first goal for Sunderland on his return from injury on 4 January 2015, the only goal in an FA Cup third round win over Leeds United.
On 19 November 2013, Van Aanholt won his first senior cap for the Netherlands in a friendly match against Colombia, coming on in injury time for Memphis Depay in a 0–0 draw at the Amsterdam Arena.
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2009–10||Coventry City (loan)||Championship||20||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||20||0|
|2009–10||Newcastle United (loan)||Championship||7||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||7||0|
|2010–11||Leicester City (loan)||Championship||12||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||12||1|
|2011–12||Wigan Athletic (loan)||Premier League||3||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||4||0|
|Netherlands||League||KNVB Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
- "Premier League clubs submit squad lists". premierleague.com (Premier League). 1 September 2010. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- "Premier League Player Profile Patrick van Aanholt". Premier League. Barclays Premier League. 2015. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "Coventry 2–1 Ipswich". BBC Sport. 9 August 2009. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- "Portsmouth 0–5 Chelsea". BBC Sport. 24 March 2010. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Ameobi sends Chelsea crashing out". ESPN Soccernet. 22 September 2010. Archived from the original on 26 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- "Foxes clinch Van Aanholt loan". Sky Sports. 26 January 2011. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- "Sheff Utd 0 – 1 Leicester". BBC Sport. 1 February 2011. Retrieved 1 March 2011.
- "Leicester's Patrick van Aanholt set to miss a month". BBC Sport. 28 February 2011. Retrieved 1 March 2011.
- "Leicester City vs Burnley". LCFC. 9 April 2011. Archived from the original on 13 April 2011. Retrieved 9 April 2011.
- "Chelsea FC:Latest News". 1 October 2011. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- VITESSE LOANS FOR YOUNG PAIR
- UEFA Europa League – Petrolul-Vitesse – UEFA.com
- Games played by Patrick van Aanholt in 2013/2014
- Vitesse Results/Matches
- RODA JC VS. VITESSE 1 – 1
- "Vitesse Arnhem hammered PSV Eindhoven to keep their place at the top of the Dutch table.". BBC Sport. 7 December 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "Sunderland sign Patrick van Aanholt from Chelsea". Sky Sports. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Strickland, Jamie (16 August 2014). "West Brom 2–2 Sunderland". BBC Sport. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "Patrick van Aanholt: Sunderland defender injures shoulder". BBC Sport. 3 November 2014. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- Williams, Adam (4 January 2015). "Sunderland 1-0 Leeds". BBC Sport. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Netherlands cling on against Colombia". UEFA. 19 November 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "Games played by Patrick van Aanholt". 16 November 2013. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
*League Only as SoccerBase don't count Dutch Cup and Europa League matches for whatever reason*
- "Patrick van Aanholt Appearances". 16 November 2013. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
*Listed ESPNFC ref as it shows he has indeed played in the Dutch Cup and Europa League*
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Patrick van Aanholt.|
- Patrick van Aanholt career statistics at Soccerbase
- Voetbal International profile (Dutch)
- ESPN Profile
- Netherlands U17 profile at OnsOranje
- Netherlands U19 profile at OnsOranje
- Netherlands U21 profile at OnsOranje