|Born||1 July 1979|
|Height||171 cm (5 ft 7 in)|
Patrik Baboumian (Armenian: Փատրիկ Բաբումեան, Persian: پاتریک بابومیان; born 1 July 1979) is an Iranian-born German-Armenian retired strongman and former bodybuilder. He promotes veganism.
Baboumian was born on 1 July 1979 in Abadan, the son of Armenian parents. He emigrated to Germany with his mother and grandmother at the age of seven. By the age of nine, he had developed an interest in weight training, which led him to pursue bodybuilding.
In 1999, Baboumian won the IFBB German Junior Bodybuilding Championship, and in 2002 he became the Overall Junior Champion at the Gießen Campions-Cup. Baboumian held the world log lift record in the 105 kg category 165 kg (364 pounds), as well as the German heavyweight log lift record 180 kg (396 pounds) and the title of "Strongest Man of Germany" (105 kg division). Since 2006, he has been competing at IFSA Strongman events. In 2007, Baboumian competed at the FSA −105 kg World Championships and ended up in 14th place.
Baboumian lifted 162.5 kg (358 pounds) in his second attempt in the 2009 German log lift nationals. The next year, he set a new German heavyweight log lifting record with 180 kg (396 pounds). In 2011, Baboumian competed at the log lifting world championship and placed 4th with a new German overall record of 185 kg (408 pounds). On 21 May 2011, he lifted 190 kg (420 pounds) in Finland, winning the local competition. He also won "Germany's Strongest Man" in 2011 by winning the open division at the German strongman nationals. On September 20, 2015, Baboumian beat his record by completing the yoke walk with 560 kg (1,230 pounds) in Germany.
In 2017, Baboumian was featured in the documentary "Empathy," directed by Ed Antoja, which aims to promote a more respectful way of life towards all animals.
In 2018, Baboumian was featured in the Netflix documentary "The Game Changers" directed by Louie Psihoyos, a film that explores nutritional science and showcases elite athletes who only consume plant-based diets.
In 2022, Baboumian featured in a song and music video called "Strongest Of The Strong" by Kreator, who added thundering backing vocals to the song and appeared in the music video for the song as the comic book character Earthraiser who's fighting for animals and nature.
Baboumian has been a vegetarian since 2005 and became a vegan in 2011. In November 2011, he became the new face of a campaign by the animal rights organization PETA, advocating a vegan diet.
- 1999 int. German Champion Jun. Bodybuilding—IFBB
- 2007 German Champion −105 kg Strongman—GFSA
- 2009 German Champion −105 kg Strongman—GFSA
- 2009 German Team-Champion Strongman—GFSA
- 2009 German Champion log lift—GFSA
- 2009 World record log lift—105 kg 165 kg (364 pounds)
- 2010 German Champion log lift—GFSA
- 2010 German record in log lift +105 kg
- 2011 4th place at loglifting worldcup 185 kg (408 pounds)
- 2011 German record in loglifting +105 kg 185 kg (408 pounds)
- 2011 German Champion and total winner in log lifting—GFSA 180 kg(396 pounds)
- 2011 German record in beer keg lifting (13 repeats)
- 2011 Germany's Strongest Man
- 2012 European Champion in Powerlifting Class—140 kg division (GPA)
- 2012 World record beer keg lifting 150.2 kg (331 pounds)
- 2012 World record Front Hold 20 kg (1:26,14 Minuten)
- 2013 Veg Fest yoke-walk, 550.2 kg (1,213 pounds) over 10 m (33 feet) in Toronto
- 2015 Veg Fest yoke-walk, 560 kg (1,230 pounds) in 28 seconds
- ^ a b "Vegan strongman shoulders 550 kg — a record, perhaps — at vegetarian food fest". Toronto Star. 8 September 2013. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- ^ "Patrik Baboumian: The World Record Holding Vegan Strongman on Why Compassion is His Greatest Strength". 13 December 2015.
- ^ "Vegan Strongman Patrik Baboumian Breaks His Own World Record!". Archived from the original on 2016-08-20. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- ^ German TV Show "Hallo Deutschland" May 4th, 2012, Min. 22:05
- ^ "'Strongest Man' Eats Plants, Loves Animals". PETA. 21 November 2011. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- ^ Deutsche Strongman Meisterschaft 2011. 8 August 2011.
- ^ Flashreport Deutsche Strongman Meisterschaft 2011. Wettkampf Bericht von Body-Xtreme. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- ^ Patrik Baboumian wird Europameister Raw-Powerlifting EM (GPA) in Finnland . Wettkampf Bericht retrieved 10 June 2012.
- ^ Zeitungsbericht Hamburger Morgenpost – MOPO. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- ^ Patrik Baboumians world record attempt in Front... 2012-09-08
- ^ Article on Clearly Veg Archived 2016-08-20 at the Wayback Machine, 20 September 2015.
- 1979 births
- German activists
- German bodybuilders
- German male athletes
- German male weightlifters
- German people of Armenian descent
- German powerlifters
- German strength athletes
- German veganism activists
- Iranian bodybuilders
- Iranian emigrants to Germany
- Iranian people of Armenian descent
- Living people
- People from Abadan, Iran
- Sports world record holders