13 July 1933
|Died||17 June 2014 (aged 80)|
|Spouse(s)||Patrick John Seccombe (1967-2000; his death)|
Patricia "Patsy" Byrne (13 July 1933 – 17 June 2014) was an English actress, best known for her role as "Nursie" in Blackadder II as well as Malcolm's domineering mother in the ITV comedy series Watching.
Byrne was educated at Ashford County Grammar School. She studied drama at Rose Bruford College before joining the Royal Shakespeare Company playing parts such as Maria in Twelfth Night and Gruscha in The Caucasian Chalk Circle at the Aldwych Theatre in the early 1960s. In the 1980s she also worked at Chichester Festival Theatre.
Byrne starred alongside Tony Robinson in a Series 3 episode of Maid Marian and her Merry Men. She played ORD "Betty the Tea Lady" on the BBC children's programme Playdays. Other roles included appearances in I, Claudius (1976), Stealing Heaven (1988), Inspector Morse (1989), Les Misérables (1998), David Copperfield (1999) and Kevin & Perry Go Large (2000), as well as numerous radio plays. Byrne performed in the 1990 BBC production of C.S. Lewis' "The Silver Chair" as the giant nanny in the city of the giants.
- The Cherry Orchard (1962)
- The Ruling Class (1972)
- The Alf Garnett Saga (1972)
- The Class of Miss MacMichael (1979)
- The Return of the Soldier (1982)
- Britannia Hospital (1982)
- Death Of An Expert Witness (1983)
- Mr. Love (1985)
- Stealing Heaven (1988)
- The Higher Mortals (1993)
- The Treasure Seekers (1996)
- Kevin & Perry Go Large (2000)
- Slide, Anthony (1996) Some Joe You Don't Know: American Biographical Guide to 100 British Television Personalities, Greenwood Press; ISBN 978-0-313-29550-8, p. 11
- "Blackadder 'Nursie' actress Patsy Byrne dies aged 80". bbc.co.uk. BBC. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "BYRNE - Deaths Announcements". Telegraph.co.uk. The Telegraph. 21 June 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.