This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Comune di Patti|
View of the cathedral and historical centre
|Metropolitan city||Messina (ME)|
|Frazioni||Tindari, Case Nuove Russo, Case Nuove Malluzzo, Mongiove, Scala, Moreri, San Cosimo, Madoro, Scarpiglia, Marinello, Gallo, Camera, Provenzani, Sorrentini.|
|• Total||50.18 km2 (19.37 sq mi)|
|Elevation||157 m (515 ft)|
|• Density||260/km2 (680/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Patti is a town and comune in northeastern Sicily, southern Italy, administratively part of the Metropolitan City of Messina, on the western shore of the gulf of the same name. It is located 76 kilometres (47 mi) from Messina.
It is best known for the remains of its rich monumental Roman Villa and for the impressive ruins of ancient city of Tyndaris nearby.
Patti is also famous for its large sandy beaches.
The current town name derives from Ep' Aktin (Ἐπ' Ἀκτήν, Greek for 'on the shore'), the name given by its inhabitants after they moved from Tindari following an earthquake that destroyed it.
Patti was destroyed by Frederick of Aragon about 1300, on account of its attachment to the House of Anjou; rebuilt in the 16th century, it was later sacked by the Ottoman Turks.
- Ruins of Tindari
- Remains of a Roman Villa (3rd century AD)
- Necropolises of Monte (10th through 8th centuries BC) and san Cosimo (3rd millennium BC through 9th century BC)
- Cathedral (10th century), housing the sepulchre of Adelasia Countess of Sicily, wife of Roger I.
The Roman Villa
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). "Diocese of Patti". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Michele Fasolo, Tyndaris e il suo territorio I. Introduzione alla carta archeologica del territorio di Tindari, Roma 2013, ISBN 978-88-908755-1-9 https://books.google.com/books?isbn=8890875518
- Michele Fasolo, Tyndaris e il suo territorio II. Carta archeologica del territorio di Tindari e materiali, Roma 2014, ISBN 978-88-908755-2-6 https://books.google.com/books?isbn=8890875526
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.