|Born||1961 (age 60–61) |
|Alma mater||Towson University|
University of Michigan
jones has been an activist for social change since the 1970s. She stopped eating meat when she was 15, the same year that she came out as a lesbian. She later became vegan, as she felt cows and hens were being sexually exploited for their milk and eggs.
In the year 2000, jones and her partner Miriam Jones founded Eastern Shore Sanctuary in rural Maryland. The sanctuary was relocated to Vermont in 2009, and later renamed to VINE ("Veganism Is the Next Evolution") Sanctuary.
Around 2002–2003, jones was attributed to be the main organizer of the Global Hunger Alliance (GHA), an international network of several activist organizations that was coordinated in preparation for the 2002 World Food Summit. The GHA networked with 90 other "supportive" organizations from around the world, including People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and Uncaged Campaigns.
In 2012, jones became involved in a battle over the lives of Bill and Lou, two oxen at Green Mountain College in Poultney, Vermont. After one of the oxen, Lou, became injured, the school decided to slaughter both and serve them as food in the dining hall. Students and animal rights advocates protested, and jones offered the oxen a home at VINE Sanctuary. The college ultimately euthanized Lou. The controversy made national headlines. Jones wrote about the events in her book, The Oxen at the Intersection.
Writing and lecturing
- pattrice le-muire jones (2001). "The Hunger for a Solution". The Animals' Agenda. 21 (5): 36–37.
- Best, Steven (June 1, 2004). "Mothers with Monkeywrenches: Feminist Imperatives and the ALF". Terrorists or Freedom Fighters?: Reflections on the Liberation of Animals. Lantern Books. pp. 137–156. ISBN 978-1590560549.
- jones, pattrice (June 2005). "Of Brides and Bridges: Linking Feminist, Queer, and Animal Liberation Movements". Satya.
- Steven Best; Anthony J. Nocella II (April 1, 2006). "Stomping with the elephants: Feminist principles for radical solidarity". Igniting a Revolution: Voices in Defense of the Earth. AK Press. pp. 319–334. ISBN 978-1904859567.
- jones, pattrice (March 1, 2007). Aftershock: Confronting Trauma in a Violent World: A Guide for Activists and Their Allies. Lantern Books. ISBN 978-1590561034.
- A. Breeze Harper (March 1, 2009). "Liberation as Connection and the Decolonization of Desire". Sistah Vegan: Black Female Vegans Speak on Food, Identity, Health and Society. Lantern Books. pp. 187–201. ISBN 978-1590561454.
- Randall Amster; Abraham DeLeon; Luis Fernandez; Anthony J. Nocella, II; Deric Shannon (March 14, 2009). "Free as a bird: natural anarchism in action". Contemporary Anarchist Studies: An Introductory Anthology of Anarchy in the Academy. Routledge. pp. 236–246. ISBN 978-0415474023.
- jones, pattrice (2010). "Roosters, hawks and dawgs: Toward an inclusive, embodied eco/feminist psychology". Feminism and Psychology. Sage Publications. 20 (3): 365–380. doi:10.1177/0959353510368120. S2CID 143663153.
- Kemmerer, Lisa (May 23, 2011). "Fighting Cocks: Ecofeminism Versus Sexualized Violence". Sister Species: Women, Animals, and Social Justice. University of Illinois Press. pp. 45–56. ISBN 978-0252078118.
- jones, pattrice (May 1, 2014). The Oxen at the Intersection: A Collision. Lantern Books. ISBN 978-1590564622.
- Carol J. Adams; Lori Gruen (July 31, 2014). "Eros and the Mechanisms of Eco-Defense". Ecofeminism: Feminist Intersections with Other Animals and the Earth. Bloomsbury Academic. pp. 91–108. ISBN 978-1628928037.
- "about pattrice jones". pattrice jones. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- "Violence and Trauma Laboratory". University of Michigan. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- "pattrice jones, The Oxen at the Intersection". Responsible Eating And Living (REAL). August 12, 2014. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- Duncan Strauss (August 26, 2015). "pattrice jones, cofounder of VINE Sanctuary". Talking Animals with Duncan Strauss. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- "About VINE Sanctuary". VINE Sanctuary. 27 November 2010. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- "pattrice jones: What Can Mad Cows & Queer Ducks Teach Us About Intersectionality?". YouTube. April 22, 2016. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- "pattrice jones - International Animal Rights Conference". International Animal Rights Conference. 2013. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- Carnell, Brian (2005-02-02). "In Case You Can't Attend the Grassroots Animal Rights Conference". Archived from the original on 2017-12-06. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "About GHA". 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-08-07. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "Vegetarians in Paradise". 2003. Archived from the original on 2018-10-04. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "Global Hunger Alliance — Partner Organizations". 2002. Archived from the original on 2002-10-03. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- Bidgood, Jess (October 28, 2012). "Oxen's Fate Is Embattled as the Abattoir Awaits". The New York Times. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- Bidgood, Jess (November 12, 2012). "A Casualty Amid Battle to Save College Oxen". The New York Times. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- Jamie (September 11, 2013). "Queering the Politics of Animal Rights with VINE Sanctuary". Autostraddle. Retrieved June 13, 2016.