Patty Kim (politician)
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 103rd district
January 1, 2013
|Preceded by||Ron Buxton|
|Constituency||Dauphin County, Pennsylvania|
|Born||July 29, 1973|
|Alma mater||Boston College|
|Website||Rep. Patty Kim|
Personal life and education
Kim graduated from Langley High School in 1991 and Boston College in 1995. Kim's father immigrated from Korea after enduring the Korean War. She was a former news anchor and reporter and Harrisburg City Councilwoman. She was also first elected to the state House of Representatives in 2012. Kim graduated from Boston College in 1995, and is married to John Sider. Together they have two children, Brielle and Ryan.
Prior to her career in elected office, Kim was a television reporter. Kim served on the Harrisburg City Council. She was elected to the Pennsylvania House in 2013. She was elected to Harrisburg's City Council, and served two terms. During her second term Kim was elected as council Vice President by her colleagues. Kim serves on the Consumer Affairs, Human Services, Local Government, and Urban Affairs committees. Kim, who is Korean American, is the first Asian-American to serve in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.
Kim won 90 percent of the votes over opponent Richard Soto, according to results from all 39 precincts. Kim handily won in each precinct, with 7,133 votes overall compared to Soto's 840 total votes. She serves on the Appropriations, Education, Children and Youth, Local Government and Urban Affairs committees. Kim fought for an increase in the state's minimum wage and sponsored legislation to expunge criminal records for non-violent offenders who stay crime-free for at least seven years in her latest term. Patty Kim is a major supporter of the Tri-Community Basketball Association. Her continued Sponsorship of the program has allowed the community the ability to purchase jerseys, new equipment and trophies for each player. Patty Kim has also taken time out of her own schedule to cheer on this team throughout the past several seasons. In 2015 Kim attended block parties around Harrisburg, PA and Steelton. Kim did this because she had incentives for the states budget. In early August 2015, she recruited six other House Democrats from inner-city districts across the state, and her goal was to find a way to reach out to voters in those districts to increase awareness for more education spending in the yet to be passed state budget.
- "SESSION OF 2013 - 197TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 1" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2013-01-01.
- "Representative Patty Kim". Pennsylvania House of Representatives. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- Murphy, Jan (1 January 2013). "Swearing-in Day at the state Capitol made history for Harrisburg and the state". The Patriot News. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Biography". Rep. Patty Kim. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "Patty Kim crushes challenger in Democratic primary race to represent Harrisburg". PennLive.com. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "State Rep. Patty Kim - Tri-Community Basketball Association". Tri-Community Basketball Association. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "Pa. House Dems 'Whip' and 'Nae-Nae' for budget awareness". WPMT FOX43. 2015-08-31. Retrieved 2016-12-09.