সাগরকন্যা (Daughter of the Sea)
Location of Patuakhali in Bangladesh
Expandable map of Patuakhali District
|• Deputy Commissioner||Md. Matiul Islam Chowdhury |
|• Total||3,220.15 km2 (1,243.31 sq mi)|
|• Density||480/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+06:00 (BST)|
medium · 16th of 21
Patuakhali city is surrounded on three sides by rivers. The two major rivers are Laukathi and Lohalia, which are directly connected with the Bay of Bengal. The city has an inland airport used for transport and private travel across the country.
A number of different tribal peoples live in the district.
There are 8 upazilas in this district. They are:
- Bauphal Upazila
- Galachipa Upazila
- Dashmina Upazila
- Kalapara Upazila
- Mirzaganj Upazila
- Patuakhali Sadar Upazila
- Dumki Upazila
- Rangabali Upazila
- Deputy Commissioner (DC): MD. Matiul Islam Chawdhury
- Superintendent of Police (SP): Mr. Moshfiqur Rahman.
- Administrator of Zila Porishod: Mr. Khan Mosharraf Hossain.
Agriculture is the profession of the most of the people. Fishing is also a prominent profession of this district. Thousands of boats go into the deep sea to fish and come back with tons of fish. Paddy, jute, and different types of vegetables are the main product of agriculture sector. Main sources of income Agriculture 57.05%, non-agricultural labourer 5.37%, industry 1.03%, commerce 13.79%, transport and communication 2.04%, service 9.22%, construction 2.13%, religious service 0.26%, rent and remittance 0.40% and others 8.71%.
Main Crops of Patuakhali district areas as follows:
The fruit trees indigenous to Patuakhali district areas as follows:
The literacy rate of Patuakhali is 54.1%; male 56.2% and female 52.0% (District Statistics, 2011). Educational institutions: university 1, medical College 1, college 65, primary teachers training institute (PTI) 1, polytechnic institute 1, vocational institute 1, technical school 5, secondary school 324, primary school 1143, satellite school 14, community school 9, kindergarten 36, madrasa 506. (District Statistics, 2011)
- Medical College
- Patuakhali Govt College
- Patuakhali Government Womens College
- Bauphal Govt College
- Kalapara Govt College
- Janata College
- Rangabali Government College
- Patuakhali Government Jubilee High School
- Patuakhali Collectorate School and College
- Auliapur Adarsho Secondary School
- Patuakhali Government Girl's High School
- Kanakdia Sir Salimullah High School & college
- Madhya Madanpura Secondary School
- Polytechnic Institute
- Patuakhali Polytechnic Institute
- Begum Fazilatunnesa Polytechnic Institute
- Kanakdia Sir Salimullah High School
The district is overwhelmingly Muslim. Similar to other districts in the Barisal division, the minority Hindu and Christian populations have seen a decline in absolute numbers in the 2001-2011 period. The district has 3892 mosques, 187 temples, three Buddhist temples and two churches.
The city of Patuakhali is situated beside two local rivers: Laukathi River and Lohalia River. During high tides some of the regions of Patuakhali get flooded. The Bay of Bengal is not far from the region.
As Patuakhali is a coastal area, it is affected almost every year by natural disasters like cyclones, floods and tornadoes. To help the disaster-affected people, many NGO's are active in the area. They play a vital role in developing the life style of poor people.
Bura Ghuranga river view from the bank of Bura Ghuranga river in beside the Gazi Bhari, East Auliapur, Ronghopaldi, Arojbegi, Dhasmina.
Port of Payra
Port of Payra is planned to become the third sea port of Bangladesh (after Chittagong and Mongla).
- A. K. M. Fazlul Haque, colorectal surgeon
- Abdul Hady Talukdar, academic
- Sohag Gazi, cricketer of the Bangladesh national cricket team
- KM Nurul Huda, Chief Election Commissioner of Bangladesh
- Faiz Ahmed, Senior Secretary, Ministry of Public Administration
- Nurul Haq Nur, joint-convenor of Bangladesh Sadharan Chhatra Adhikar Sangrakshan Parishad and Vice-president, Dhaka University Central Students' Union
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Patuakhali District.|
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 18 March 2020.
- Jerin, Iffat (2012). "Patuakhali District". In Islam, Sirajul; Miah, Sajahan; Khanam, Mahfuza; Ahmed, Sabbir (eds.). Banglapedia: the National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Online ed.). Dhaka, Bangladesh: Banglapedia Trust, Asiatic Society of Bangladesh. ISBN 984-32-0576-6. OCLC 52727562. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- "AL men appointed administrators". The Daily Star. 16 December 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- Bangladesh District Gazetteers:Bogra. Government of Bangladesh. 1979, pp. 16–16
- "Bangladesh Population & Housing Census 2011" (PDF). Retrieved 22 September 2020.
- "District Statistics, 2011" (PDF). Retrieved 22 September 2020.