Paul "Bear" Bryant Award
|Paul "Bear" Bryant Award|
|Awarded for||NCAA college football's national coach of the year|
|Presented by||American Heart Association|
|Currently held by||Dabo Swinney, Clemson|
The American Heart Association (AHA) Paul "Bear" Bryant Awards are an annual awards banquet that is hosted each year in January, in Houston, Texas, by the AHA. There are two awards. One of them—the Paul "Bear" Bryant Coach of the Year Award—has been given annually since 1986 to NCAA college football's national coach of the year. The Award was named in honor of longtime Alabama coach Bear Bryant after he died of a heart attack in 1983. It is voted on by the National Sports Media Association (formerly the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association) and proceeds from the awards ceremony benefit the American Heart Association, which is the organizing sponsor—since 1986, at the request of the Bryant family—and which obtains a "presenting sponsor" (currently Marathon Oil Corporation). The College Football Coach of the Year Award began in 1957 and was renamed for Bryant in 1986. Bryant himself won the AFCA Coach of the Year award in 1961, 1971, and 1973.
According to the official website:
The Paul "Bear" Bryant College Football Coaching Awards is an exclusive event that honors a college football coach whose great accomplishments, both on and off the field, are legendary. The award recognizes the masters of coaching and allows them to take their deserved place in history beside other legends like Bear Bryant.
Unlike many college football head coaching awards, it is presented after each season's bowl games.
In 2000, the AHA began presenting a second award, the Paul "Bear" Bryant Lifetime Achievement Award.
Paul "Bear" Bryant Coach of the Year Award winners
- Note: The year indicates the year in which the award was presented, i.e., in January of the year following the football season.
|1986||Paterno, JoeJoe Paterno||Penn State|
|1987||MacPherson, DickDick MacPherson||Syracuse|
|1988||Holtz, LouLou Holtz||Notre Dame|
|1989||McCartney, BillBill McCartney||Colorado|
|1990||Ross, BobbyBobby Ross||Georgia Tech|
|1991||James, DonDon James||Washington|
|1992||Stallings, GeneGene Stallings||Alabama|
|1993||Bowden, TerryTerry Bowden||Auburn|
|1994||Brooks, RichRich Brooks||Oregon|
|1995||Barnett, GaryGary Barnett||Northwestern|
|1996||Snyder, BruceBruce Snyder||Arizona State|
|1997||Carr, LloydLloyd Carr||Michigan|
|1998||Snyder, BillBill Snyder||Kansas State|
|1999||Beamer, FrankFrank Beamer||Virginia Tech|
|2000||Stoops, BobBob Stoops||Oklahoma|
|2001||Coker, LarryLarry Coker||Miami (FL)|
|2002||Tressel, JimJim Tressel||Ohio State|
|2003||Saban, NickNick Saban||LSU|
|2004||Tuberville, TommyTommy Tuberville||Auburn|
|2005||Brown, MackMack Brown||Texas|
|2006||Petersen, ChrisChris Petersen||Boise State|
|2007||Mangino, MarkMark Mangino||Kansas|
|2008||Whittingham, KyleKyle Whittingham||Utah|
|2009||Petersen, ChrisChris Petersen||Boise State|
|2010||Chizik, GeneGene Chizik||Auburn|
|2011||Gundy, MikeMike Gundy||Oklahoma State|
|2012||O'Brien, BillBill O'Brien||Penn State|
|2013||Malzahn, GusGus Malzahn||Auburn|
|2014||Patterson, GaryGary Patterson||TCU|
|2015||Swinney, DaboDabo Swinney||Clemson|
|2016||Swinney, DaboDabo Swinney||Clemson|
Winners by school
Paul "Bear" Bryant Lifetime Achievement Award winners
- See footnote.
2000 – Darrell Royal
2001 – Charles McClendon
2002 – Bill Yeoman
2003 – Frank Broyles
2004 – Gene Stallings
2005 – Lou Holtz
2006 – Jack Pardee
2007 – Bo Schembechler
2008 – Tom Osborne
2009 – Barry Switzer
2010 – Vince Dooley
2011 – Bobby Bowden
2012 – Hayden Fry
2013 – LaVell Edwards
2014 – R. C. Slocum
2015 – Jimmy Johnson
2016 – Mack Brown
2017 – Barry Alvarez
- AFCA Coach of the Year
- Associated Press College Football Coach of the Year Award
- Walter Camp Coach of the Year
- Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award
- The Home Depot Coach of the Year Award
- Sporting News College Football Coach of the Year
- "The Final Title of the Season: The Paul "Bear" Bryant Awards". American Heart Association – Houston Office website. American Heart Association, Inc. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Win a Trip to the Bear Bryant Awards". American Heart Association – Houston Office website. American Heart Association, Inc. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
Toyota proudly supports the American Heart Association's 2017 Paul "Bear" Bryant Awards. In addition to a Toyota Trophy Tour, ....
- For a list of American Heart Association offices, by state, go to: "Localization By State / City". American Heart Association official website. American Heart Association, Inc. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Coach of the Year Award". American Heart Association – Houston Office website. American Heart Association, Inc. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- Go to the National Sports Media Association website (retrieved 2017-02-15), click on "Awards" and then on "Bear Bryant Awards".
- "Lifetime Achievement Award". American Heart Association – Houston Office website. American Heart Association, Inc. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "2017 Paul "Bear" Bryant Awards". American Heart Association – Houston Office website. American Heart Association, Inc. December 14, 2016. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- Barra, Allen (2005). The Last Coach: The Life of Paul "Bear" Bryant. W.W. Norton & Company. p. 517.
- "Paul "Bear" Bryant College Football Coaching Awards". Retrieved December 12, 2012.