Paul & Paula
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hildebrand was born in Joshua, Texas, and Jackson in McCamey, Texas. Both were attending Howard Payne College (now called Howard Payne University) in Brownwood, Texas in 1962 when a local disc jockey, Riney Jordan, asked listeners to come to the studio and sing their songs to help the American Cancer Society. The duo sang a song called "Hey Paula," which Hildebrand wrote, and were encouraged to make a record of it.
Shelby Singleton of Philips Records eventually signed them, but not before changing their professional name (Singleton reasoned that a pair named Ray and Jill singing about "Hey, hey Paula" and "Hey, hey Paul" did not make sense). "Hey Paula" sold over two million copies globally, and was awarded a gold disc by the Recording Industry Association of America (R.I.A.A.) in 1963. The pairing of Paul & Paula was credited with inspiring other famous male/female pairings down the line, mostly from record companies that had originally turned the duo down in 1962. In November 1963 Nino Tempo & April Stevens and Dale and Grace had back-to-back Hot 100 #1s. Jerry Butler was quickly paired with Betty Everett, and Marvin Gaye was paired with a number of female partners before Motown finally settled on Tammi Terrell.
The duo released two regular albums and a Christmas-themed album after the success of "Hey Paula", which charted at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for the entire month of February 1963. Their follow-up, "Young Lovers", reached #6 on the Billboard chart later in the same year.
In 1965, Hildebrand left the act to complete his college education, having decided that a future in show business was not for him. He made this decision in the middle of a Dick Clark Caravan of Stars road trip, and Clark had to fill in at the last minute. Hildebrand recorded a Christian music album in 1967 called He's Everything to Me.
Jackson went on with a solo career and Hildebrand returned to singing in the 1980s in the Christian duo Land & Hildebrand. Today, the twosome get together from time to time to sing as Paul & Paula for special events.
In 2002, Hildebrand and Jackson returned to Howard Payne University to be the homecoming guests of honor and Grand Marshals.
- Paul & Paula Sing for Young Lovers (1963)
- We Go Together (1963)
- Holiday for Teens (1963)
- Welcome Warrior (1976)
- National Lampoon's Animal House (1978)
- The Best of Paul & Paula (1995)
- Greatest Hits (2000)
- "Hey Paula" b/w "Bobby Is the One" (1962)
- "Young Lovers" b/w "Ba-Hey-Be" (1963)
- "First Quarrel" b/w "School Is Thru" (1963)
- "Something Old, Something New" b/w "Flipped Over You" (1963)
- "First Day Back at School" b/w "A Perfect Pair" (1963)
- "Holiday Hootenanny" b/w "Holiday for Teens" (1963)
- "We'll Never Break Up for Good" b/w "Crazy Little Things" (1964)
- "Darlin'" b/w "The Young Years" (1964)
- "No Other Baby" b/w "Too Dark to See" (1964)
- "True Love" b/w "Any Way You Want Me" (1965)
- "Dear Paula" b/w "All the Love" (1965)