||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014)|
Paul Andreu (born 10 July 1938) is a French architect who is known for his designs of multiple airports. He is currently a professor of architecture at Zhejiang University and maintains a private practice.
Early life and education
Andreu was born at Caudéran (Gironde), in southwest France. He graduated in 1958 from the École Polytechnique and continued his studies at the École des ponts ParisTech, graduating in 1961. He next studied under architect Paul Lamarche in the École des Beaux-Arts, graduating in 1968. 
Andreu is responsible for the design of numerous airports, including Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Manila), Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (Jakarta), Shanghai Pudong International Airport in China, Abu Dhabi International Airport, Dubai International Airport, Cairo International Airport, Brunei International Airport, and the Charles de Gaulle Airport, and Orly Airport in Paris.
He has been in charge of planning and constructing Charles de Gaulle Airport (Roissy) in Paris since 1967. On 23 May 2004 a portion of Terminal 2E collapsed, killing four people. Terminal 2E, inaugurated in 2003, is the seventh terminal at Roissy by Andreu, and has been described as one of Andreu's boldest designs. The collapse was attributed by the ad hoc administrative enquiry commission to a variety of technical causes and the lack of margins of safety in the design. Andreu blamed the collapse on poor execution by the building companies.
Other projects include the Grande Arche at La Défense in Paris (as associate of Johann Otto von Spreckelsen) and the National Grand Theater of China enclosed in a titanium and glass shell near Beijing's Tiananmen Square which was inaugurated on 22 December 2007.
In 2011 Andreu became dean emeritus and chair professor of the Architecture Department at Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, China, where he teaches three months per year.
- "Paul Andreu - French architect and engineer mostly noted for his numerous airport designs.". http://structurae.net/. Retrieved 2015-09-13. External link in
- "Biographie". http://www.academie-des-beaux-arts.fr. Retrieved 2015-09-13. External link in
- "Profile: Paul Andreu". BBC. 2004-05-24. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- China's national theater makes debut, International Herald Tribune, 23 december 2007.
- "Montreal entertainment district building to go up without federal help". CBC.ca. October 24, 2008. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "'Big Egg' architect teaches in Hangzhou," Shanghai Daily
- www.paul-andreu.com Andreu's homepage (French)
- BBC News: Profile: Paul Andreu
- Official report of the enquiry commission (French)
- Pictures and profile at Specifier Magazine
- Paul Andreu information at Structurae