Paul Appleby (tenor)
Appleby outside the Metropolitan Opera, May 2015
|Born||Chicago, Illinois, USA|
|Occupation||Opera singer (tenor)|
Paul Appleby (born June 29, 1983) is an American operatic tenor. In 2009 he won the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions. In November 2015 he made his debut at the San Francisco Opera as Tamino in Mozart's The Magic Flute. In December 2015 he was the tenor soloist in Mozart's Coronation Mass with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, and in January 2016 he performed Belmonte in Mozart's Die Entführung aus dem Serail with the Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra. He sang Belmonte again at the Metropolitan Opera in May 2016.
He graduated from the Metropolitan Opera's Lindemann Young Artist Development Program and received the 2012 Leonore Annenberg Fellowship in the Performing and Visual Arts.
- 2012: Leonore Annenberg Fellowship in the Performing and Visual Arts".
- 2012: Gerda Lissner Foundation".
- Bénédict, Béatrice et Bénédict (Berlioz)
- Belmonte, Die Entführung aus dem Serail (Mozart)
- Brian, Two Boys (Nico Muhly)
- Brighella, Ariadne auf Naxos (Richard Strauss) – Metropolitan Opera debut (2011)
- David, Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg (Wagner)
- Don Ottavio, Don Giovanni (Mozart)
- Ferrando, Così fan tutte (Mozart)
- Jonathan, Saul (Handel)
- Lysander, A Midsummer Night's Dream (Britten)
- Tamino, Die Zauberflöte (Mozart)
- Tom Rakewell, The Rake's Progress (Stravinsky)
- Brian in Nico Muhly's Two Boys with conductor David Robertson, Metropolitan Opera, released 2013, Nonesuch Records
- Dear Theo: Three Song Cycles by Ben Moore with Paul Appleby, Susanna Phillips, Brett Polegato; Brian Zeger, piano; released 2014, Delos Productions
- The Juilliard Sessions: Paul Appleby; Schubert and Britten Songs, EMI Classics, 2012
- Mozart: Mass in C minor & Piano Concerto No. 22 in E-flat major, K. 482 New York Philharmonic Alan Gilbert & Emanuel Ax, New York Philharmonic, 2012
- "Paul Appleby Schedule". Operabase. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Sean Martinfield (November 11, 2015). "In Conversation with Tenor Paul Appleby – A Smart Debut at San Francisco Opera". The Huffington Post.
- "Abduction from the Seraglio Marks Levine's Final Performance as Music Director", WQXR, 6 May 2016
- "Leonore Annenberg Fellowship".
- Gerda Lissner Foundation, 2012 Prize Winners
- Glyndebourne Official website, "Calendar: Glyndebourne 2016 Festival" Archived January 19, 2016, at the Wayback Machine., Glyndebourne (Lewes, UK), August, 2015
- Opera News Review of Two Boys Recording , "Muhly: Two Boys’", Opera News (New York, NY), January 2015.
- Paul Appleby, Metropolitan Opera
- "Who Matters Now: A Baker's Dozen of the Season's Rising Stars" by Robert J. Hughes, New York Observer, 8 March 2011
- "Review: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg", Opera News (New York), December 2, 2014
- Opera Today, "San Diego Opera presents an excellent Don Giovanni, Opera Today Review", Opera Today Official Website (Omaha, NE), Feb 24, 2015
- Boston Globe, "Boston Lyric Opera’s ‘Così fan tutte’ is delightful, Boston Globe Opera Review", Boston Globe Official Website, March 19, 2013
- The Guardian, "Saul review – virtuoso, ravishing, one of Glyndebourne's finest shows ’", The Guardian (London, UK), August 2015.
- "A Midsummer Photo Diary" Archived January 27, 2016, at the Wayback Machine., Wolf Trap official website (Vienna, Virginia), August 2010.
- "Review: The Rake's Progress Makes a Brief Visit at the Metropolitan Opera", The New York Times, May 4, 2015
- Nonesuch Records Official Website, "Two Boys, Metropolitan Opera", Nonesuch Records, May 12, 2015
- Delos Productions Official Website, "Dear Theo, Ben Moore", Delos Productions, 2014
- iTunes, "The Juilliard Sessions: Paul Appleby; Schubert and Britten Songs, EMI Classics"
- New York Philharmonic Official Website, "Mozart: Mass in C minor & Piano Concerto No. 22 in E-flat major, K. 482", New York Philharmonic
- The Metropolitan Opera, "The Enchanted Island: Metropolitan Opera Live in HD, Virgin Classics"