17 May 1973 |
St. Helens, England
Paul 'Patch' Atcheson (born 17 May 1973) is a former Welsh international rugby league footballer of the 1990s and 2000s. He played at representative level for Great Britain, and Wales, and at club level for Widnes Vikings (two spells), Wigan (Heritage № 877), Oldham Bears, and St. Helens, as a fullback.
After the 1993–94 Rugby Football League season Atcheson travelled with defending champions Wigan to Brisbane, playing from the interchange bench in their 1994 World Club Challenge victory over Australian premiers, the Brisbane Broncos. Atcheson made one appearance for Great Britain under-21's in 1993, and won caps for Wales national rugby league team while at Wigan in 1995 against England, France, and in the 1995 Rugby League World Cup against Western Samoa. Paul Atcheson played as an interchange/substitute, i.e. number 14, (replacing Centre Va'aiga Tuigamala) in Wigan's 40-10 victory over Warrington in the 1994–95 Regal Trophy Final during the 1994–95 season at Alfred McAlpine Stadium, Huddersfield on Saturday 28 January 1995.
While at Oldham in 1996 he played for Wales against France, and England. In the 1997 post season, Atcheson was selected to play for Great Britain national rugby league team in all three matches of the Super League Test series against Australia. He also signed with St Helens.
While at St. Helens in 1998 Atcheson played for Wales against England. Atcheson played for St. Helens at fullback in their 1999 Super League Grand Final victory over Bradford Bulls. Having won the 1999 Championship St. Helens contested in the 2000 World Club Challenge against National Rugby League Premiers the Melbourne Storm, with Atcheson playing fullback in the loss.
Atcheson played for Wales while at Widnes in 2000 against South Africa, in the 2000 Rugby League World Cup against Cook Islands, Lebanon, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Australia, in 2001 against England, in 2002 against New Zealand, and in 2003 against Russia, and Australia.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Heritage Numbers - In Debut Order". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- Williams, Graham; Lush, Peter; Farrar, David (2009). The British Rugby League Records Book. London League. pp. 108–114. ISBN 978-1-903659-49-6.
- Fletcher, Raymond (1997). Rothmans Rugby League Yearbook 1997. Headline Book Publishing. p. 357. ISBN 978-0-7472-7764-4.
- "28th January 1995: Warrington 10 Wigan 40 (Regal Trophy Final)". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- !Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk (statistics currently missing due to not having appeared for both Great Britain, and England)
- Statistics at wigan.rlfans.com
- I was on the dole …now I'm facing those mighty Aussies[dead link]
- Wasps' pounds 100,000 Atcheson sting[dead link]
- Profile at saints.org.uk
- The Teams: Wales
- Broncos cleared for club showdown
- (archived by web.archive.org) Statistics at orl-heritagetrust.org.uk