Paul B. Cutler
|Paul B. Cutler|
|Genres||Punk rock, horror punk, deathrock, gothic rock, Paisley Underground|
|Occupation(s)||Producer, guitarist, graphic designer|
|Associated acts||The Consumers, 45 Grave, Vox Pop, Bpeople, Gleaming Spires, the Dream Syndicate|
Cutler's first band, the Consumers, were the first punk rock band from Phoenix, Arizona. In 1979, he founded the punk and gothic band 45 Grave, who played off and on until 1990 and released several records. 45 Grave had formed alongside another Cutler band with almost the same lineup called Vox Pop, which released two singles.
In 1981, he played bass with the LAFMS-affiliated art group Bpeople, also producing and engineering their eponymous 1981 single, and producing and remixing their 1986 compilation album Petrified Conditions 1979-1981. In 1982, Cutler played on the Life Out on the Lawn 12" EP by Gleaming Spires; that same year, he engineered and produced the debut EP by Los Angeles-based Paisley Underground band the Dream Syndicate. Cutler became a member as lead guitarist for two Dream Syndicate albums, Out of the Grey (1986) and Ghost Stories (1988), before their 1989 demise.
From the late 1990s into the mid-2000s, Cutler collaborated with French percussionist Jean-Pierre Bedoyan on the avant-garde musical project International Metal Supply.
Cutler is no longer actively playing music, but has remained involved in the music industry. For at least two decades he worked as a graphic designer and art director for Goldenvoice, a music production company now owned by AEG. He is cited as being responsible for producing the "look and feel" of the Coachella Festival posters and themes.
- Simmonds, Jeremy (2008). The Encyclopedia of Dead Rock Stars: Heroin, Handguns, and Ham Sandwiches. Chicago Review. p. 267. ISBN 9781556527548. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Bpeople eponymous EP at Discogs". Discogs.com.
- Robbins, Ira A. (1991). "Bpeople - Petrified Conditions 1979-1981 LP (excerpt from The Trouser Press Record Guide)". Retrieved 14 Jun 2016.
- Green, Jim (2007). "Alex Gibson; Bpeople; Passionnel". Trouser Press. Retrieved 14 Jun 2016.
- "Discogs: Gleaming Spires – Life Out On The Lawn".
- Derogatis, Jim (2003). Turn on your mind: four decades of great psychedelic rock. Hal Leonard. p. 370. ISBN 9781617802157.
- Chang, Vickie (2011-12-15). "Gary Tovar Has His Goldenvoice". OC Weekly. Retrieved 21 Apr 2016.
- Specter, Jill (2013-12-17). "Coachella Music Festival: The Man & People Behind the Design". Aesthetic Crit. Retrieved 21 Apr 2016.