|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Liverpool|
|Diocese||Diocese of Liverpool|
|Other posts||Bishop of Hertford (2010–2014)|
|Consecration||21 September 2010|
2 November 1953 |
Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
|Children||Three adult children|
|Alma mater||University of Birmingham|
Bayes was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1979 and as a priest in 1980. He was an assistant curate at St Paul's Church, Whitley Bay for three years (1979–1982). He then became a university chaplain in west London from 1982 to 1987.
Bayes moved to High Wycombe for seven years — initially as Team Vicar (1987–1990) and then Team Rector (1990–1994) before becoming Team Rector of Totton for nine years (1995–2004). While he was at Totton, Bayes was also the Area Dean of Lyndhurst from 2000. Upon leaving Totton, he joined the Archbishops' Council staff team as National Mission and Evangelism Adviser until his ordination to the episcopacy. He was also an honorary canon at Worcester Cathedral from 2007 until his consecration.
On 7 July 2010, it was announced that Bayes would succeed Christopher Foster as Bishop of Hertford upon Foster's translation to Portsmouth. Bayes was duly consecrated a Church of England bishop on 21 September 2010 at St Paul's Cathedral and installed at St Albans Cathedral on 25 September 2010.
On 7 May 2014 it was announced that Bayes was to become the next (8th) Bishop of Liverpool; his canonical election was confirmed on 23 July 2014. Bayes was installed at Liverpool Cathedral on 15 November 2014.
In June 2016, Bayes "called for far-reaching change in the church's attitudes to lesbian and gay people and a meaningful welcome to Christians in same-sex relationships". He supports the dropping the requirement for gay Christians to be celibate, saying "I've learned to respect the experiences of people who want to celebrate and express their sexuality, and be within the church". He contributed a chapter to the book Journeys in Grace and Truth: Revisiting Scripture and Sexuality (2016), which aims to show how it is "possible to hold a positive view of same-sex relationships while being a biblically rooted evangelical".
- The Reverend Paul Bayes (1979–2007)
- The Reverend Canon Paul Bayes (2007–2010)
- The Right Reverend Paul Bayes (2010–present)
- Diocese of St Albans — New Bishop of Hertford
- Diocese of Liverpool – The next Bishop of Liverpool is to be the Right Revd Paul Bayes (Accessed 7 May 2014)
- Number 10 — Suffragan See of Hertford
- Who's Who 2012 – Hertford, Bishop Suffragan of
- "Paul Bayes". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 15 November 2016. (subscription required)
- BBC News — New Hertford Bishop
- Herts Advertiser — New Bishop of Hertford is announced
- Sherwood, Harriet (16 June 2016). "Senior bishop calls for change in C of E attitudes to gay people". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- Ozanne, Jayne, ed. (2016). Journeys in Grace and Truth: Revisiting Scripture and Sexuality. London: Ekklesia. ISBN 978-0993294242.
- "Journeys in Grace and Truth". journeysingraceandtruth.com. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Hertford
|Bishop of Liverpool