|The Rt Revd
|Bishop of Liverpool|
|Diocese||Diocese of Liverpool|
|Other posts||Bishop of Hertford (2010–2014)|
|Consecration||21 September 2010|
2 November 1953 |
Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
|Children||Three adult children|
|Alma mater||University of Birmingham|
Bayes was ordained in Newcastle Cathedral in 1979 and was an assistant curate at St Paul's Church, Whitley Bay for three years (1979–1982). He then became a university chaplain in west London from 1982 to 1987.
Bayes moved to High Wycombe for seven years — initially as Team Vicar (1987–1990) and then Team Rector (1990–1994) before becoming Team Rector of Totton for nine years (1995–2004). While he was at Totton, Bayes was also the Area Dean of Lyndhurst from 2000. Upon leaving Totton, he joined the Archbishops' Council staff team as National Mission and Evangelism Adviser until his ordination to the episcopacy. He was also an honorary canon at Worcester Cathedral from 2007 until his consecration.
On 7 July 2010, it was announced that Bayes would succeed Christopher Foster as Bishop of Hertford upon Foster's translation to Portsmouth. Bishop Paul was duly consecrated a Church of England bishop on 21 September 2010 at St Paul's Cathedral and installed as Bishop of Hertford on 25 September 2010.
On 7 May 2014 it was announced that Bayes was to become the next (8th) Bishop of Liverpool; his election was confirmed on 23 July 2014. Bayes was installed as Bishop of Liverpool on 15 November 2014.
Marriage and family
Bayes is married to Kate, a drama teacher and lay reader. They have three adult children: Honour (an arts journalist and drama critic: theatreworkbook.wordpress.com), Sam and Philippa (a trainee lawyer).
- Paul Bayes (1953–1979)
- The Reverend Paul Bayes (1979–2007)
- The Reverend Canon Paul Bayes (2007–2010)
- The Right Reverend Paul Bayes (2010–present)
- Diocese of St Albans — New Bishop of Hertford
- Diocese of Liverpool – The next Bishop of Liverpool is to be the Right Revd Paul Bayes (Accessed 7 May 2014)
- Number 10 — Suffragan See of Hertford
- Who's Who 2012 – Hertford, Bishop Suffragan of
- BBC News — New Hertford Bishop
- Herts Advertiser — New Bishop of Hertford is announced
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Hertford
|Bishop of Liverpool