31 March 1931 |
Paul Broughton is an Australian former rugby league football player, coach and club chief executive. He is currently the Chairman of the Gold Coast Titans in the NRL. He also serves on the board of the North Queensland Cowboys. He has been described by some as an Australian rugby league football identity.
Broughton played in Sydney's NSWRFL Premiership for St. George in the 1954 season before playing in the country. He returned to the Premiership in 1957 with Balmain but was injured in the first match of the season and forced into retirement.
Post-playing Broughton coached St. George in reserve grade and went on to become the club's chairman of selectors. He later worked for the NSWRFL before a season coaching Brisbane's Brothers club in 1974. The following season Broughton returned to Sydney with the Balmain club, whom he coached from 1975 to 1976, then Newtown from 1977 to the fifth game of 1978, after which a major internal upheaval caused him, along with reserve grade coach Dave Bolton, to be dismissed in favour of St. George legend (and ex-Jet) Johnny Raper and Bob Carnegie.
Following the removal of the Gold Coast Chargers from the newly established National Rugby League at the end of the 1998 season, Broughton worked towards the foundation of the Titans, and has been described as "the Godfather of Gold Coast rugby league". The Titans annual award for best and fairest player is named the Paul Broughton Medal in his honour.
- Masters, Roy (2010-07-02). "Small men need not apply to this select club". The Sydney Morning Herald. Australia: Fairfax Media. Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- Gee, Steve (2010-06-25). "NRL fans demand home and away comp". The Daily Telegraph. Australia: Herald and Weekly Times. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- "Player Profile - Paul Broughton". yesterdayshero.com.au. Australia: SmartPack International Pty Ltd. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- "Raper takes over the reins"; in Sydney Morning Herald; 28 April 1978; p. 18
- Curran, Brian (1989-07-11). "Last Word". The Sydney Morning Herald. Australia. p. 51. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- Turgeon, Luke (2009-08-08). "Godfather awaiting his finals blessing". goldcoast.com.au. Australia: News Limited. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- abc.net.au (2007-10-04). "Bailey, Laffranchi share Titans' top honour". ABC News. Australia: ABC. Retrieved 2010-07-04.