Paul Carter (rugby league)
23 May 1992 |
Penrith, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||98 kg (15 st 6 lb)|
|Position||Lock, Second-row, Hooker|
As of 07 June 2017
Paul Carter (born 23 May 1992) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for no club in the NRL. He primarily plays at lock and second-row, but can also fill in at hooker. He previously played for the Gold Coast Titans , South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Sydney Roosters.
From 2010 to 2012, Carter played for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs' NYC team. In November and December 2010, he played for the Australian Schoolboys. On 21 April 2012, he played for the New South Wales Under-20s team in New South Wales' 18-14 win over Queensland at Penrith Stadium. On 21 August 2012, he was named at lock in the 2012 NYC Team of the Year.
On 14 August 2013, Carter signed a 2-year contract with the Gold Coast Titans starting in 2014. In February 2014, he played for the Titans in the inaugural NRL Auckland Nines. In Round 1 of the 2014 NRL season, he made his NRL debut for the Titans against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks off the interchange bench in the Titans' 18-12 win at Remondis Stadium. In Round 3 against the Canberra Raiders, he scored his first career try in the Titans 24-12 win at Canberra Stadium. On 12 June 2014, he was stood down by the Titans for 2 matches after being charged with high range drink driving at Surfers Paradise. He later returned to the Titans first-grade squad in Round 17 against the South Sydney Rabbitohs, playing at lock in the Titans 14-10 win at ANZ Stadium. He finished off his debut year in the NRL, having played in 21 matches and scoring 1 try for the Titans. On 20 December 2014, his Titans contract was terminated due to disciplinary reasons.
On 12 July, Carter had his Rabbitohs contract terminated following a breach of the club's code of conduct and specific clauses of his contract. In October, he signed a 1-year contract with the Sydney Roosters starting in 2017.
Carter's career has been marred by alcohol abuse, which led to his contracts with the Titans and the Rabbitohs being torn up.
In 2014 season (while contracted with the Titans) Carter was twice charged with drink driving. His first charge was in June, the Court gave him a $14,000 fine and suspended him from driving for 12 months. In December (six months later) he was charged with high-range drink driving while driving unlicensed. Following the incident Coach Neil Henry commented that "Paul has had an opportunity... we've put measures in place to help him out with a few of the issues he has and he was making some progress but to go and transgress again, especially when the courts have said he's unlicensed, that's unacceptable".
In July 2016 (while contracted with the Rabbitohs) Carter was sacked because he failed to attend a training session following a weekend bender. This was not Carter's first breach of conduct with the club. A month earlier (June 2016) Carter and teammate Kirisome Auva'a were both stood down for turning up to training under the influence of alcohol.
Following Carter's sacking by the Rabbitohs, he checked into an alcohol rehabilitation centre in Thailand.
- "Paul Carter - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "Ex-Alstonville lad signs with the Gold Coast Titans". Northernstar.com.au. 2013-08-29. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20141105225226/http://rleague.com/players/Paul-Carter_3086/Matches/. Archived from the original on 5 November 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2016. Missing or empty
- "Carter preparing for league tour". Northernstar.com.au. 2010-11-18. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "NSW v QLD under-20s Origin". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "Baby Blues Show Them How It's Done". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "Toyota Cup Team of the Year". NRL.com. 2012-08-21. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "Cup Representatives Edge Queensland Residents in Curtain Raiser". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "Squads For Auckland Nines". Rugbyleagueweek.com.au. 2014-02-14. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "ready for quick-set ruck". Titans.com.au. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "Paul Gallen Injures Ankle in Gold Coast Titans 18-12 Upset of Cronulla Sharks". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- Greenwood, Emma (2014-03-24). "Titans back on track with win against Canberra Raiders after slow start to NRL season". Goldcoastbulletin.com.au. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "Gold Coast Rookie Paul Carter Stood Down by Titans for Drink Driving Offence". Couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "Paul Carter Stood Down by Gold Coast Titans". Theaustralian.com.au. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "Titans upset Souths in scrap-fest". NRL.com. 2014-07-07. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "Paul Carter contract terminated". Titans.com.au. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "Sign Paul Carter for Remainder of 2015 and 2016". Rabbitohs.com.au. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "UPDATED: Round 23 NRL team lists". NRL.com. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- "Rabbitohs terminate contract of Paul Carter". Zero Tackle. Retrieved 2016-07-12.
- Roosters.com.au (2016-06-17). "Roosters sign Paul Carter". Zero Tackle. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Roosters terminate contract of Paul Carter". SRRLC. Retrieved 2017-06-07.
- "Gold Coast Titans poised to sack forward Paul Carter". Brisbane Times. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "South Sydney Rabbitohs sack troubled forward Paul Carter". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "Kirisome Auva'a issued notice of contravention after breaking NRL testing policy for illicit substances". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 2016-07-06. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "Paul Carter sacked by South Sydney Rabbitohs". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 2016-07-12. Retrieved 2016-10-06.