||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2011)|
Paul Chadwick at the Stumptown Comics Fest 2006. Photo: Joshin Yamada
Born in Seattle, Chadwick grew up in its suburb Medina, where his father, Stephen F. Chadwick, was the City Attorney. As a teenager, he participated in Apa-5, the amateur press alliance of comics fans, and he then attended Art Center College of Design, majoring in illustration. Graduating in 1979, he began his career creating storyboards for Disney, Warner Brothers, Lucasfilm and other film studios, contributing to such films as Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Strange Brew, The Big Easy, Ewoks: The Battle for Endor, Lies and Miracle Mile.
Chadwick provided art for the Dazzler comic book, published by Marvel Comics, before creating Concrete, first published by Dark Horse Comics in Dark Horse Presents #1 (July 1986). He wrote Gifts of the Night for DC Comics' Vertigo with art by John Bolton.
After working on several Matrix comics, Chadwick was asked by the Wachowskis to write The Matrix Online. He outlined the general story direction (and various natural offshoots) of events to take place in the MMORPG game.
He illustrated cards for the Magic: The Gathering collectible card game.
In May 2015, Chadwick announced that he is working on a new Concrete series entitled Stars over Sand.
Chadwick has personally been recognized for his work with the Eisner Award for Best Writer/Artist for 1989, and nominations for the Harvey Awards for Best Artist, Writer, and Writer/Artist that same year. His work on Concrete has also won that series several awards.
- Gifts of the Night #1-4 (1998–99)
- Harlan Ellison's 7 Against Chaos graphic novel (2013)
- Y: The Last Man #16-17 (2004)
Dark Horse Comics
- Concrete #1-10 (1987–88)
- Concrete Color Special (1989)
- Concrete: Fragile Creature #1-4 (1991)
- Concrete: The Human Dilemma #1-6 (2004–05)
- Concrete: Killer Smile #1-4 (1994)
- Concrete: Strange Armor #1-5 (1997–98)
- Concrete: Think Like a Mountain #1-6 (1996)
- Star Wars: Empire #9-12, 15 (2003)
- Star Wars: A Valentine Story one-shot (2003)
- The World Below #1-4 (1999)
- The World Below: Deeper and Stranger #1-4 (1999-2000)
- Dazzler #38-42 (1985–86)
- Deadpool #46-48 (2000)
- Doctor Strange: The Flight of Bones #3-4 (replaced original artist Tony Harris) (1999)
- "Paul Chadwick To Do More Concrete," ComicBookNerdsAreHot.com
- Official Paul Chadwick site
- The Paul Chadwick Web Comicography
- Interview with Paul Chadwick re: The Matrix Online
- Another interview with Paul Chadwick re: The Matrix Online
- Paul Chadwick's interview with the Wachowski Brothers re: The Matrix Online Archived from the original
- Paul Chadwick's Blog
- The Matrix Online's Official Website
- Paul Chadwick's comic "Deja Vu", originally for The Matrix website
- Paul Chadwick's "Let it All Fall Down", originally for The Matrix website
- Paul Chadwick's "The Miller's Tale", originally for The Matrix website
M. D. Bright