Paul Clyne was the District Attorney of Albany County, New York from January 2001 through December 2004. A graduate of Albany Law School, he spent about 14 years as an assistant district attorney, before he was tapped by local politicians to replace the retiring District Attorney, Sol Greenberg. He was defeated for re-election by David Soares, first in the Democratic Party primary election in September 2004, and then in the general election in November 2004, in which he ran on an independent line. After a stint teaching at the New York Prosecutors Institute, he went into private practice as a criminal defense attorney in 2007, with an office in Albany, New York.
In April 2008, Clyne said he was opposing his successor, David Soares, for re-election, and the Albany County Democratic candidate selection committee refused to endorse either candidate. He ended up not running after all; in November 2008, Soares won re-election, by a 73 to 27% margin against another candidate.
- Albany County Board of Elections official web site results for September 14, 2004 primary election. Accessed January 9, 2008.
- Albany County Board of Elections official web site results for November 2, 2004 general election. Accessed January 9, 2008.
- DeMare, Carol, "Clyne hangs out a shingle - and a number," Law Beat, Albany Times Union, September 12, 2007, p. D3.
- Albany County Board of Elections official page. Accessed January 9, 2008.
- DeMare, Carol, "No endorsement so far from DA panel: Neither Soares nor Clyne gets backing of Albany County party's screening committee", Albany Times-Union, Tuesday, April 22, 2008, found at Times Union story of April 22, 2008. Accessed May 5, 2008.
- Gavin, Robert, and Waldman, Scott, "Albany DA Soares easily thwarts Cusick's challenge: Troy voters reject city charter proposal; Albany elects 2 to school board," Times Union, found at Albany Times Union story Nov. 2008. Retrieved November 10, 2008.
- Albany County Board of Elections official web site results for November 4, 2008 general election. Accessed November 10, 2008.
- re-canvass page of the Albany County board of elections. Accessed December 2, 2008.
- Jordan Carleo-Evangelist, "Former District Attorney Paul Clyne taking job with Council 82," Albany Times-Union, April 16, 2010. Found at Times Union blogs. Note: Jordan Carleo-Evangelist is a full-time reporter with the Albany Times-Union. Accessed September 21, 2010.
|Albany County District Attorney
2001 - 2004