Paul Cook (author)
- Early life and education
Paul Cook was born in Tucson, Arizona in 1950. He has lived all of his life in Arizona, with the exception of three years, from 1978-1981, at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, where he studied English and received a Ph.D. in 1981.
Cook has been teaching at Arizona State University since 1982. He has taught a wide range of courses, on topics ranging from creative writing to literature, both British and American, a well as ASU's first science fiction class, Eng 369: Science Fiction Studies. He has taught authors as diverse as Thomas Pynchon, Ezra Pound, John O'Hara, John D. MacDonald, Elmore Leonard, and Carlos Castaneda. Additionally, Cook currently writes book reviews for Galaxy's Edge, an online science fiction magazine edited by Mike Resnick.
- Tintagel (1981). Ace Science Fiction.
- The Alejandra Variations (1984). Ace Science Fiction.
- Duende Meadow (1985). Bantam Spectra.
- Halo (1986). Bantam Spectra.
- On The Rim Of The Mandala (1987). Bantam Spectra.
- Fortress On The Sun (1997). Roc SF; Reprint (2008). Phoenix Pick/Arc Manor Books
- The Engines Of Dawn (1999). Roc SF; Reprint (2008). Phoenix Pick/Arc Manor Books
- Karma Kommandos (2008). Phoenix Pick/Arc Manor Books
Paul Cook has published short stories in Amazing Stories, Digital Science Fiction, Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction, The Hawai'i Review, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, The Nameless Review, and New Letters.
He has published poems in a wide variety of literary non mainstream magazines such as The Georgia Review and Quarterly West.
He has written classical music criticism for such venues as ClassicsToday.com and MusicWeb-International.com, and now writes classical music reviews exclusively for The American Record Guide. He has written extensively on the music of Hindemith, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, and Stravinsky.
He most recently wrote the introduction to the 2006 edition of Edgar Rice Burroughs' novel Tanar of Pellucidar (Bison Books/University of Nebraska Press) and is the Series Editor for the Phoenix Science Fiction Classic series from Phoenix Pick/Arc Manor books.