Paul E. Jacobs
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Paul E. Jacobs|
Paul E. Jacobs at the World Economic Forum annual meeting in 2010
|Born||October 30, 1962|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
|Occupation||Executive Chairman of Qualcomm|
|Spouse(s)||Stacey Jacobs (divorced)|
|Parent(s)||Irwin M. Jacobs|
|Family||Jeffrey A. Jacobs|
Gary E. Jacobs
Family and education
Jacobs was born to a Jewish family, the son of Joan (nee Klein) and Irwin M. Jacobs. His father was co-founder of Linkabit and Qualcomm. He has three brothers: Gary E. Jacobs (born 1958), Hal Jacobs (born 1960), and Jeffrey A. Jacobs (born 1966).
He earned a bachelor's in Engineering and Computer Science in 1984, an M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering in 1986, and a Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in 1989 from the University of California, Berkeley.
Jacobs was Executive Chairman of Qualcomm Incorporated beginning in March 2009. He had been the Chief Executive Officer of the company from July 2005 to March 2014, and previous to that date served as the Group President of Qualcomm Wireless and Internet Group from July 2001. Jacobs started with the company as an engineer in the wireless technology development group in 1990.
On March 9, 2018 Qualcomm announced that Jacobs would be stepping down as the company’s chief executive chairman. On March 16, 2018, Qualcomm removed Paul Jacobs from its board, after he "broached a long-shot bid" for a buyout earlier that week. The company also announced that Jacobs would not be re-nominated to its board of directors at the March 23 annual stockholder meeting. “The board reached that decision following his notification to the Board that he has decided to explore the possibility of making a proposal to acquire Qualcomm,” the company said, adding that its board will consist of 10 directors at the meeting.
Awards and recognition
- 2007–2014 Institutional Investor, List of America’s Best (Telecom Sector) - Best CEO
- 2008 Berkeley Engineering Innovation Award
- 2008 Radio Club of America, The Sarnoff Citation
- 2009 IEEE CASS Industrial Pioneer Award
- 2010 Higginbotham Corporate Leadership Award
- 2011 Laptop Magazine, 25 Most Influential People in Mobile
- 2011 NCAFP Global Business Leadership Award
- 2011–2012 Global Telecoms Business, Power 100
- 2012 VentureBeat, Top Ten Mobile Movers
- 2012 FORTUNE, Ten Brilliant Technology Visionaries
- 2012 Samsung Award of Honor
- 2013 Sesame Workshop, Corporate Leadership Award
- 2013 Edison Achievement Award
- 2014 GSMA Chairman’s Award
- 2016 National Academy of Engineering
In 1993, Jacobs married Stacey Jacobs; they had three children. The couple divorced in 2013. In 2016, he married French-Canadian Geneviève Tremblay; they have a daughter together.
- "Paul E. Jacobs Ph.D.: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- San Diego Tribune: "Jacobs Brothers Finally Getting in the Hoops Business" by Kevin Acee March 30, 2013
- "#20 Paul E Jacobs - Forbes.com". www.forbes.com. Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- "Today's CEO Leader in STEM: Dr. Paul E. Jacobs of Qualcomm Incorporated | STEMconnector Blog". blog.stemconnector.org. Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- "Qualcomm Leadership: Dr. Paul E. Jacobs". Qualcomm. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- Paul Jacobs to step down as Qualcomm CEO; Steve Mollenkopf to take over, BGR.in
- Windhorst, Brian (May 17, 2016). "Maloofs, Sacramento group agree". ESPN. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- "NBA approves Kings sale to Sacramento group". NBA. AP. May 28, 2013. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- Dana Cimilluca, David Benoit and Dana Mattioli (March 16, 2018). "Qualcomm Ousts Paul Jacobs From Board as He Chases Long-Shot Bid for Chip Giant". The Wall Street Journal. The New York Times, New York City, United States. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
- "Former Qualcomm CEO Wants to Take Company Private | Multichannel". www.multichannel.com. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Distinguished Industry Leader Award Winner Biographies". IEEE Communications Society. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- "IEEE Ernst Weber Managerial Leadership Award". IEEE Communications Society. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- San Diego Reader: "Amidst Jacobs family crack-ups, can charity prevail? - Facing fight over park bulldozing, San Diego's richest man endures domestic ruptures" by Matt Potter July 14, 2016 | Married in October 1991, the couple separated in September 2013, a month before their 22nd anniversary
- San Diego Reader: "Irwin Jacobs' 50-year-old son, Jeff, pops question to 29-year-old La Jolla fashionista" by Matt Potter November 9, 2016
- California Magazine UC Berkeley Alumni Association: "A Life And Career By Design: Qualcomm Exec Paul Jacobs - Engineer and Qualcomm Executive Chairman Paul Jacobs is 2017 Alumnus of the Year" By Bill Snyder Summer 2017 | He also gets some exercise keeping up with his youngest daughter, a toddler, born to Jacobs and his second wife, Geneviève, in 2016. His earlier marriage, to Stacy Jacobs (’84 B.A. in physiology, ’87 B.S. in optometry, and ’89 O.D.), produced three children but ended after nearly 22 years.
- Montreal TV: "Le plus gros mariage de l’année à Montréal a eu lieu ce week-end avec Seal en vedette" June 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paul E. Jacobs.|