|Date of birth||21 October 1974|
|Place of birth||Scunthorpe, England|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|2006||→ Chester City (loan)||5||(0)|
|2009||→ Boston United (loan)||12||(0)|
|2010–2011||North Ferriby United|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:41, 19 August 2010 (UTC).
He played in the Football League for Boston United and Chester City,  and having started his career at Scunthorpe United he also went on to play at Non-league level for Gainsborough Trinity, Altrincham, Scarborough, Alfreton Town, Retford United and North Ferriby United.
Born in Scunthorpe, Ellender joined Scunthorpe United as a YTS trainee, and went on to sign professional forms, but was released at the end of the 1993–94 season without having made a first-team appearance. He joined Northern Premier League club Gainsborough Trinity, where he became captain, and led the club out in their 1997–98 FA Cup first-round tie against Lincoln City. After a 1–1 draw at Lincoln's ground, Sincil Bank, Gainsborough went out 3–2 in the replay, also played at Lincoln.
Together with centre-back partner Chris Timons, Ellender joined Altrincham in 1998, and helped the club win the Northern Premier League title and gain promotion to the Conference. He was sold to fellow Conference club Scarborough in November 1999. In 2001 Ellender signed for Boston United for £80,000, which was the club's record transfer fee. He went on to captain Boston to the Conference title and promotion to the Football League in 2001–02, and remained with the club until 2008. He was loaned to Chester City in February 2006 for the remainder of the season, but was recalled a month later because of injuries among Boston defenders.
After seven years with Boston, during which time he played 275 games in all competitions, and, according to the club's website, "endeared himself to the club's supporters with a never-say-die attitude", he moved on to Alfreton Town, but re-signed for Boston United on loan in March 2009. At the end of the season, neither Boston nor Alfreton offered him a contract, and he joined Retford United for the 2009–10 season. He joined North Ferriby United during the summer of 2010.
- "Paul Ellender". UK A–Z Transfers. Neil Brown. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "Paul Ellender". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- Crockett, Mike (May 1998). "Taylor Gains Boro' pair". Altrincham F.C. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- Shaw, Phil (26 November 1997). "Gainsborough out of the picture". The Independent. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "Ellie fighting illness". Boston Standard. 29 March 2006. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "Chester sign Pilgrims man on loan". BBC Sport. 24 February 2006. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "Pilgrims recall defender Ellender". BBC Sport. 27 March 2006. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "End of an era for skipper Ellender". Boston United F.C. 31 May 2008. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "Ellender bids fond farewell". Boston United F.C. 4 June 2008. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "United complete Ellender return". Boston United F.C. 6 March 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "United sign Ellender and Thompson". Retford Times. 3 July 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "Pressure is on for Ferriby's Allison". Hull Daily Mail. 13 August 2010. Retrieved 13 August 2010.