Paul Elliman (1961) is a British artist and designer based in London. His work combines an interest in typography and the human voice, often referring to forms of audio signage that mediate a relationship between them. His typeface Found Fount (aka Bits) is an ongoing collection of found ‘typography’ drawn from objects and industrial debris in which no letter-form is repeated.
Elliman's work has addressed the instrumentalisation of the human voice as a kind of typography, engaging the voice in many of its social and technological guises, as well as imitating other languages and random sounds of the city including the non-verbal messages of emergency vehicle sirens, radio transmissions and the muted acoustics of architectural spaces.
He has exhibited in the Institute of Contemporary Arts and Tate Modern in London, the New Museum and Moma (Ecstatic Alphabets, 2012) in New York, APAP in Anyang, South Korea, and Kunsthalle Basel. In 2009 his project "Sirens Taken for Wonders" was commissioned for the New York biennial Performa09, and took the form of a radio discussion about the coded language of emergency vehicle sirens, as well as a series of siren-walks through the city.
In 2010 he contributed a series of whistled versions of bird song transcriptions by Olivier Messiaen for the show We Were Exuberant and Still Had Hope, at Marres Centre for Contemporary Art, Maastricht.
- "A Recent History: Paul Elliman". ICA. 17 July 2008. Retrieved 30 April 2011.[dead link]
- "Century City: Art and Culture in the Modern Metropolis". Tate Modern. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "The Sound of Things: Unmonumental Audio". New Museum. Archived from the original on 4 March 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- Shah, Samir (23 November 2009). "Sirens Taken for Wonders". Urban Omnibus. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "We Were Exuberant and Still Had Hope. Ettore Sottsass: works from Stockholm, 1969 – Marres Maastricht – Centre For Contemporary Culture". Marres.org. 10 January 2010. Archived from the original on 2013-04-15.
- Heiges, Nathan (2007). "FACULTY: Paul Elliman, Designer". Yale University. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
Media related to Paul Elliman at Wikimedia Commons