Paul Ferguson performing at the 2009 Ilosaarirock festival in Finland
|Birth name||Matthew Paul Ferguson|
|Born||31 March 1958|
|Associated acts||Pink Parts|
Matthew Paul Ferguson (born 31 March 1958) is an English rock drummer, best known for his work in the post-punk/industrial group Killing Joke and cult English punk band Pink Parts. Following a stint as the drummer with the London-based Matt Stagger Band in 1978, Ferguson became a founding member of Killing Joke and served as their drummer from 1979 to 1987. He was known as Big Paul Ferguson during this period. Ferguson is known for his tribal drum style.[who?]
The last album he recorded with Killing Joke was the 1986 release Brighter than a Thousand Suns. Following disagreements with lead singer Jaz Coleman about new material and the direction of the band, Ferguson and bassist Paul Raven departed the band in 1987 during the recording of their seventh studio album, Outside The Gate.
He subsequently worked on other musical projects, notably with rock outfits Warrior Soul (1987–1990), Murder, Inc. (1991–92) and Crush (1992–93). During the following years Ferguson moved to Puerto Rico, then to the United States, and became a sculptor and art restorer, specialising in ancient sculptures. He also briefly played with The Orb and took up guitar.
Ferguson rejoined Killing Joke for their 2008 reunion, which saw the original line-up together for the first time since 1982. Ferguson recorded with Killing Joke for the first time in 23 years for their 2010 studio album Absolute Dissent. He remains with Killing Joke, having drummed on their April 2012 album release MMXII and subsequent tour, as well as their 2015 release Pylon.
2015 saw the launch of Boneyard, a line of skull-and-bone jewelry designed by Ferguson. Each unique piece is individually cast and hand finished in solid sterling silver.
- With Killing Joke
- Turn to Red/Almost Red EP (1979)
- Killing Joke (1980)
- What's THIS For...! (1981)
- Ha! Killing Joke Live (1982)
- Revelations (1982)
- Fire Dances (1983)
- Night Time (1985)
- Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (1986)
- Absolute Dissent (2010)
- MMXII (2012)
- Pylon (2015)
- With Warrior Soul
- Last Decade Dead Century (1990)
- With Murder, Inc.
- Corpuscle EP (1992)
- Murder Inc. (1992)
- With Crush
- Crush (1993)
- "Killing Joke". Furious.com. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Reynolds 2005, p. 435. sfn error: no target: CITEREFReynolds2005 (help)
- "Killing Joke: History". Killing Joke. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "Landing Page". Boneyardskullrings.com. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- Hämäläinen, Jyrki "Spider" (2020). Killing Joke: Are You Receiving?. Milton Keynes: New Haven Publishing Ltd. ISBN 978-1912587407.