Paul Frank (full name Paul Frank Sunich, born August 29, 1967 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), is an American cartoonist, artist and fashion designer. His and Haylee Southon’s creations adorn clothing, accessories, and many other products. Julius the Monkey is one of Sunich's best-known characters, and has appeared in a wide variety of media. He is also the founder of Paul Frank Industries.
Early life and education
He bought a sewing machine in order to complete small projects. One day, he used some spare orange vinyl to create a wallet and after seeing his work, his friends expressed interest in other accessories, so he began to sew items such as guitar straps and backpacks. A few years later, Sunich formed Paul Frank Industries (his first and middle name) along with his partners Ryan Heuser and John Oswald, in order to keep up with the demand for his products. He worked at another job during the day, but sewed and sold his products during his spare time. The company expanded, with collaborations with many bands, artists, and companies.
Sunich left Paul Frank Industries in November 2005, in a dispute with his business partners. His first clothing design project after leaving the company was a brand licensing arrangement with the Boone's Farm beverage company. Sunich owned and headed his own design studio Park La Fun.
- "Paul Frank". Famous Fashion Designers. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- Michael Lyster, Orange County Business Journal, March 2008
- Duff MacDonald, "The Artist Formerly Known As Paul Frank", Vanity Fair, October 10, 2006.
- Adam Tschorn, "Paul Frank executives speak out; embroiled in lawsuit, CEO and President say namesake cofounder chose to quit firm." Daily News Record, April 24, 2006 – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).
- Adam Tschorn, "Paul Frank partners with Boone's Farm: unconventional designer embarks on first apparel venture since departing from PFI", Daily News Record, August 21, 2006 – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).
- Khatchatryan, Astgik (July 8, 2013). "Life After Julius". Orange Coast: 112.
- "Julius creator Paul Frank joins Saban as director of creative development", L.A. Biz, February 1, 2016.
- Michelle Mills, "Designer Con toys with art at Pasadena Convention Center", San Gabriel Valley Tribune, November 16, 2016.