Paul Freedman is the Chester D Tripp Professor of History at Yale University. He specializes in medieval social history, the history of Spain, the study of medieval peasantry, and medieval cuisine.
His 1999 book Images of the Medieval Peasant won the Medieval Academy's prestigious Haskins Medal.
- The Diocese of Vic: Tradition and Regeneration in Medieval Catalonia, 1983
- The Origins of Peasant Servitude in Medieval Catalonia, 1991
- Images of the Medieval Peasant, 1999
- Food: The History of Taste (ed.), 2007
- Out of the East: Spices and the Medieval Imagination, 2008
- Ten Restaurants That Changed America, 2016