Paul G. Blazer High School
|Paul G. Blazer High School|
|1500 Blazer Boulevard
Ashland, KY 41102
|School district||Ashland Independent School District|
|Color(s)||Maroon █, white and gray|
|Nickname||Tomcats (boys), Kittens (girls)|
|Feeder schools||Ashland Middle School|
|Information||+1 (606) 327-6040|
Paul G. Blazer High School (named for Paul G. Blazer) is a public high school located in Ashland, Kentucky. It is part of the Ashland Independent school district. Blazer replaced the former Ashland High School on Lexington Avenue and the former Booker T. Washington Grade and High School at Seventh Street and Central Avenue in 1962. It started out as a school for grades 10-12 but changed over to 9-12 in 1980. For this reason, Blazer is still commonly referred to as simply "Blazer" by local residents, or "Ashland-Blazer" in publications about the school. Blazer is designed in a campus-style layout with seven buildings. This is unique among high schools in the region, as most consist of one single building. In 2011 the campus completed its renovation, which in most students eyes lessened the natural feel of the open campus by removing many of the trees that were in the open circle of campus. New grass was added and three of the seven buildings were repaired heavily. The next round of renovations plan to include the Art, Shop, and Theater facilities once the budget allows.
- Arliss Beach - National Football League running back - Green Bay Packers, Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texans
- Larry Conley - Former University of Kentucky and Kentucky Colonels basketball player, College basketball analyst
- Drew Hall - Former Major League Baseball pitcher and #3 overall draft pick of the Chicago Cubs
- Ashley Judd - Class of 1986 as Ashley Tyler Ciminella - Actress
- Wynonna Judd - Country singer
- Charlie Reliford - Major League Baseball umpire
- Harold Sergent - Former basketball player
- Brandon Webb - 2006 National League 2006 Cy Young Award -winning pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Chuck Woolery - Television personality
- "2013–2014 Audited School Enrollments (in alphabetic order)" (PDF). Kentucky High School Athletic Association. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- John E. Kleber Editor-in Chief, The Kentucky Encyclopedia: Blazer, Paul Garrett (Lexington : University of Kentucky Press, 1992) Page 87.
- "All-time winners". MLB.com. Retrieved 20 February 2017.