The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|First appearance||The Flash #141 (Dec 1963)|
|Created by||John Broome|
|Full name||Paul Gambi|
|Notable aliases||Crime Tailor|
Paul Gambi is a fictional tailor appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics. His name is an homage to real life fan Paul Gambaccini. Paul Gambi first appeared in The Flash #141 and was created by John Broome.
Fictional character biography
Paul Gambi is a tailor in Central City who associates himself with the Rogues as seen in his first appearance where Flash pursues Top to his place of work. Following Top's defeat, Paul was arrested for being an accessory to Top.
Paul Gambi later gives Flash a new suit. While testing it out, Flash sees that the loot of the villains that he fights goes missing.
An amnesiac Gorilla Grodd in human form stumbles into Paul Gambi's shop. To help with Gorilla Grodd's amnesia, Paul Gambi starts to tell him the origins of the Rogues. Upon Flash's name triggering his memory, Gorilla Grodd persuades Paul to make him a Grodd suit. When the Rogues arrive and attack Grodd, he suddenly transforms back into a gorilla. After Gorilla Grodd is defeated, Solovar thanks Paul for stalling before taking Gorilla Grodd back to Gorilla City.
Paul Gambi later created the "ultimate super-costume" which was first worn by serial killer Dell Merriwether until he was defeated by Flash and Green Lantern and got sentenced to the electric chair. What Paul didn't count on is that the Suit gained a mind of its own and could not be destroyed.
Paul Gambi had family members that also appeared in DC Comics.
- Anthony Gambi - The nephew of Paul Gambi who became the supervillain Replicant.
- Peter Gambi - The brother of Paul Gambi who is also a tailor in Suicide Slum and served as a tailor for Black Lightning.
The following have been known clients of Paul Gambi:
- Gorilla Grodd
In other media
- Paul Gambi is alluded to in the pilot episode for The Flash 2014 TV series. When Barry Allen first discovers his speed, he accidentally runs into a van saying Gambi's Dry Cleaning hinting at his existence in the show's universe.
- Paul Gambi appears in issue #15 of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold comic series.
- Episode 18 of season 5. Nora, in her origin story, crashes into the back of a van marked "Gambi & Sons", shortly after getting her powers.
- The Flash #141. DC Comics.
- The Flash #239. DC Comics.
- Secret Origins #41. DC Comics.
- The Flash Vol. 2 #130. DC Comics.
- The Flash Vol. 5 #14. DC Comics.
- Flash Secret Files #2. DC Comics
- Black Lightning #1. DC Comics.
- Paul Gambi at DC Comics Wiki
- Flash - Those Who Ride the Lightning profile on Paul Gambi