Paul Gordon (composer)
|Birth name||Paul Howard Gordon|
|Occupation(s)||musical theatre writer, songwriter|
|Associated acts||Jay Gruska, Bill Mumy|
Paul Howard Gordon is a composer of popular songs and music for the theatre.
Gordon composed the music and lyrics for the stage musical Jane Eyre which ran on Broadway in 2000–2001, for which he received a Tony Award for Best Original Score nomination. This musical ran at Theatreworks, Mountain View Center for the Performing Arts, Mountain View, California, in 2003, and the talkinbroadway.com reviewer wrote: "The music of Paul Gordon fits this production like a glove, with unbroken strings of music and lyrics that give the audience the mood of the story." The Wall Street Journal noted the musical has "a lyrical score".
He composed the music and lyrics for the stage musical Daddy Long Legs with the book and direction by John Caird, which premiered at the Rubicon Theatre Company, Ventura, California in October 2009 and then had an engagement at the TheatreWorks Mountainview Center for the Performing Arts, California, in January through February 2010.
Gordon has written popular songs, including the "#1 songs: "Next Time I Fall" recorded by Peter Cetera and Amy Grant, and "Friends and Lovers," which was #1 on both pop and country charts." He has also written for films (including Ghostbusters II) and television.
- Greetings from Venice Beach (1993)
- Jane Eyre (1995)
- Emma (2006)
- The Front; music also by Jay Gruska
- Daddy Long Legs (2009)
- Sense & Sensibility (2016)
Awards and nominations
- 2010: Won the award for Lyrics/Music for an Original Musical for the Rubicon Theatre Company production of "Daddy Long Legs"
- Connema, Richard."A Beautiful Production of the Musical Jane Eyre" talkinbroadway.com, April 15, 2003
- "'Jane Eyre' listing with review" mtishows.com, accessed February 18, 2011
- Jones, Kenneth."'Emma', Paul Gordon's Austen-Inspired Musical, Opens Jan. 23 at Old Globe" playbill.com, January 23, 2011
- "'Jane Eyre' Composer, Paul Gordon & Stars at Joe's Pub 10/15" broadwayworld.com, October 1, 2007
- Probst, Andy."Paul Gordon's Emma - A Musical Romantic Comedy Added to the Old Globe Theatre's Winter Season" theatermania.com, July 19, 2010
- Jones, Kenneth.Inspired by the Film, New Musical The Front Gets Caird-Directed Reading March 3" playbill.com, March 3, 2008
- Henerson, Evan."A CurtainUp Los Angeles Review" 'Daddy Long Legs'" curtainup.com, October 21, 2009
- John Caird's DADDY LONG LEGS Gets TheatreWorks Run, 1/23 - 2/14" broadwayworld.com, January 23, 2010
- "'Daddy Long Legs' CD listing and liner notes" cdbaby.com, accessed February 18, 2011
- Back to the 80s: Interview with songwriter/composer Paul Gordon - Kickin' it Old School
- "2009/2010 Ovation Award Winners.". 17 January 2011.