Paul Gordon Jarvis
Paul Gordon Jarvis
23 May 1935
|Died||5 February 2013 (aged 77)|
Jarvis was educated at Oriel College, Oxford graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Botany.[when?] He went to graduate school at the University of Sheffield where he was awarded a PhD in 1960 for research on the growth and regeneration of Irish oak Quercus petraea. Funded by a NATO scholarship, he moved to Uppsala University where he was awarded a second doctorate in plant physiology in 1963.
Career and research
In 1964 he moved to Australia, where he did postdoctoral research at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO). He returned to the United Kingdom in 1966, where he worked at the University of Aberdeen for nine years until 1975, and then at the University of Edinburgh for twenty six years where he was a Professor until his retirement in 2001.
Jarvis research interests were in plant ecology and plant physiology. He demonstrated the link between forests and the atmosphere using novel techniques for measuring leaf water potential and stomatal conductance. He is the author, co-author or editor of several textbooks and monographs including The carbon balance of forest biomes with Howard Griffiths.
Awards and honours
Professor Jarvis has made a unique contribution to plant ecology by elucidating the dependence of transpiration and photosynthesis on physiological and environmental factors over a wide range of scales from cellular to regional. He was one of the first to develop rigorous schemes for the movement and storage of water in plants and for the resistances and potential gradients that determine the diffusion of water vapour and carbon dioxide within leaves. He developed a formula expressing the dependence of stomatal conductance on weather and soil factors that has been widely used by other workers. He was a pioneer in measuring photosynthesis and respiration in a forest stand and in estimating CO₂ fluxes as a function of light transmission and interception. Currently, he is a prominent leader of internationally-planned research on biological aspects of climate change, in particular, the impact of raised levels of CO₂ on forest photosynthesis, on carbon accumulation in forests, and on feedback between vegetation and the atmosphere.
In 1978, Jarvis was a founding member of the influential peer reviewed scientific journal Plant, Cell & Environment with David Jennings a mycologist at the University of Liverpool; John Raven, a botanist at the University of Dundee; Harry Smith at the University of Nottingham and the publisher Bob Campbell at Blackwell Scientific publications. He served on the editorial board of Photosynthetica, was the President of the Society for Experimental Biology[when?] and a Commissioner of the Countryside Commission for Scotland. He was also an elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1979, the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry, the Institute of Chartered Foresters and the Institute of Biology.
Jarvis met his wife Margaret while they were both undergraduates at Oxford, they had three children.
- Mencuccini, M (2013). "Paul Jarvis, FRS, FRSE: Plant ecologist who showed the link between forests and the atmosphere". IForest - Biogeosciences and Forestry. 6 (2): 100–101. doi:10.3832/ifor0102-006.
- "Certificate of election EC/1997/14: Jarvis, Paul Gordon". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Paul Gordon Jarvis's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Jarvis, P. G. (1976). "The Interpretation of the Variations in Leaf Water Potential and Stomatal Conductance Found in Canopies in the Field". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 273 (927): 593–610. Bibcode:1976RSPTB.273..593J. doi:10.1098/rstb.1976.0035.
- Beerling, D. J. (2015). "Gas valves, forests and global change: A commentary on Jarvis (1976) 'The interpretation of the variations in leaf water potential and stomatal conductance found in canopies in the field'". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 370 (1666): 20140311. doi:10.1098/rstb.2014.0311. PMC 4360119. PMID 25750234.
- "Paul Gordon Jarvis, FRS, FRSE (1935 – 2013)" (PDF). bsbi.org.uk. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Smith, Harry (2013). "Paul Gordon Jarvis, FRS: Co-founding editor of Plant, Cell & Environment". Plant, Cell & Environment. 36 (5): 907–8. doi:10.1111/pce.12080. PMID 23421651.
- Marek, M. V. (2013). "Paul Gordon Jarvis". Photosynthetica. 51 (2): 161–162. doi:10.1007/s11099-013-0029-y. S2CID 167530.
- Jarvis, Paul Gordon (1963). Growth and regeneration of Quercus petraea (Matt.) Liebl. in the Sheffield region (PhD thesis). University of Sheffield. OCLC 270819383.
- Jarvis, Paul Gordon (1963). Comparative studies in plant water relations (PhD thesis). Uppsala University. OCLC 883168822.
- "Obituary: Paul Gordon Jarvis FRS, FRSE, ecologist and micro-meteorologist". The Scotsman. Archived from the original on 7 December 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Malhi, Y.; Baldocchi, D. D.; Jarvis, P. G. (1999). "The carbon balance of tropical, temperate and boreal forests". Plant, Cell and Environment. 22 (6): 715–740. doi:10.1046/j.1365-3040.1999.00453.x. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Magnani, Federico; Mencuccini, Maurizio; Borghetti, Marco; Berbigier, Paul; Berninger, Frank; Delzon, Sylvain; Grelle, Achim; Hari, Pertti; Jarvis, Paul G.; Kolari, Pasi; Kowalski, Andrew S.; Lankreijer, Harry; Law, Beverly E.; Lindroth, Anders; Loustau, Denis; Manca, Giovanni; Moncrieff, John B.; Rayment, Mark; Tedeschi, Vanessa; Valentini, Riccardo; Grace, John (2007). "The human footprint in the carbon cycle of temperate and boreal forests". Nature. 447 (7146): 849–851. Bibcode:2007Natur.447..849M. doi:10.1038/nature05847. PMID 17568744. S2CID 4415477.
- Valentini, R.; Matteucci, G.; Dolman, A. J.; Schulze, E.-D.; Rebmann, C.; Moors, E. J.; Granier, A.; Gross, P.; Jensen, N. O.; Pilegaard, K.; Lindroth, A.; Grelle, A.; Bernhofer, C.; Grünwald, T.; Aubinet, M.; Ceulemans, R.; Kowalski, A. S.; Vesala, T.; Rannik, Ü.; Berbigier, P.; Loustau, D.; Guðmundsson, J.; Thorgeirsson, H.; Ibrom, A.; Morgenstern, K.; Clement, R.; Moncrieff, J.; Montagnani, L.; Minerbi, S.; Jarvis, P. G. (2000). "Respiration as the main determinant of carbon balance in European forests". Nature. 404 (6780): 861–5. Bibcode:2000Natur.404..861V. doi:10.1038/35009084. PMID 10786790. S2CID 205005949.
- Janssens, I. A.; Lankreijer, H.; Matteucci, G.; Kowalski, A. S.; Buchmann, N.; Epron, D.; Pilegaard, K.; Kutsch, W.; Longdoz, B.; Grunwald, T.; Montagnani, L.; Dore, S.; Rebmann, C.; Moors, E. J.; Grelle, A.; Rannik, U.; Morgenstern, K.; Oltchev, S.; Clement, R.; Gudmundsson, J.; Minerbi, S.; Berbigier, P.; Ibrom, A.; Moncrieff, J.; Aubinet, M.; Bernhofer, C.; Jensen, N. O.; Vesala, T.; Granier, A.; Schulze, E. -D.; Lindroth, A.; Dolman, A. J.; Jarvis, P. G.; Ceulemans, R.; Valentini, R. (2001). "Productivity overshadows temperature in determining soil and ecosystem respiration across European forests". Global Change Biology. 7 (3): 269–278. Bibcode:2001GCBio...7..269J. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2486.2001.00412.x.
- Howard Griffiths and Paul Jarvis (2005) The carbon balance of forest biomes[ISBN missing]
- Grace, John (2019). "Paul Gordon Jarvis. 23 May 1935—5 February 2015". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 68: 251–272. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2019.0027.
- "Wiley-Blackwell Announces Retirement of Bob Campbell". wiley.com. 28 February 2013. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)