Paul H. Harvey
|Born||Paul H. Harvey
January 19, 1947 
|Institutions||University of Oxford|
|Alma mater||University of York (BA, DPhil)|
|Thesis||Studies on the polymorphism of cepaea nemoralis (1971)|
|Doctoral students||fifty in total|
|Other notable students|
Paul H. Harvey CBE FRS (born 19 January 1947) is a British evolutionary biologist. He is Professor of Zoology and was head of the zoology department at Oxford University from 1998 - 2011 and Secretary of the Zoological Society of London from 2000 - 2011, holding these posts in conjunction with a professorial fellowship at Jesus College, Oxford.
Awards and honours
Harvey was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1992 in recognition of his status as a leading evolutionary biologist of his era. Harvey was awarded the Scientific Medal and the Frink Award from the Zoological Society of London, the J. Murray Luck Award from the National Academy of Sciences, and the University of Helsinki Medal. He is an ISI highly cited researcher.
From 2000-2011, he served as Secretary of the Zoological Society of London (constitutionally the Chief Executive responsible for London and Whipsnade Zoos, the Institute of Zoology, and the Conservation Programmes)
Selected Publications by Harvey
- Garland Jr, Theodore; Harvey, P.H.; Ives, A.R. (1992). "Procedures for the analysis of comparative data using phylogenetically independent contrasts" (PDF). Systematic Biology. 41: 18–32. doi:10.2307/2992503.
- Harvey, P.H. Martin, R.D., & Clutton-Brock, T.H. (1987) Life Histories in Comparative Perspective. In Primate Societies. Smuts, B.B., Cheney, D.L., Seyfarth, R.M., Wrangham, R.W., Struhsaker, T.T. (eds). Chicago & London:University of Chicago Press. pp. 181–196 ISBN 0-226-76715-9
- Harvey, P.H. & Pagel, M.D. (1991) The Comparative Method in Evolutionary Biology. Oxford Monographs in Ecology and Evolution edited by Harvey, P.H. and May, R.M.. Oxford University Press.
- Pybus, O.G.; Rambaut, A; Holmes, E.C.; Harvey, P.H. (2002). "New inferences from tree shape: numbers of missing taxa and population growth rates". Syst. Biol. 51 (6): 881–888. PMID 12554454. doi:10.1080/10635150290102582.
- Pybus, O.G.; Charleston, M.A.; Gupta, S.; Rambaut, A; Holmes, E.C.; Harvey, P.H. (2001). "The epidemic behaviour of the Hepatitis C virus". Science. 292 (5525): 2323–2325. PMID 11423661. doi:10.1126/science.1058321.
- Freckleton, R.P.; Harvey, P.H. (2006). "Detecting Non-Brownian Trait Evolution in Adaptive Radiations". PLoS Biology. 4 (11): e373. PMC . PMID 17090217. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.0040373.
- Kelly, C.K.; Bowler, M.G.; Pybus, O.; Harvey, P.H. (2008). "Phylogeny, niches and relative abundance in natural communities". Ecology. 89 (4): 962–970. PMID 18481521. doi:10.1890/07-0322.1.. Also see Leibold, Mathew A. (2008). "Ecology: Return of the niche". Nature. 454 (7200): 39–41. PMID 18596794. doi:10.1038/454039a. and Sugden, A. M. (2008). "ECOLOGY: Deterministic Competition". Science. 320 (5878): 851a–851a. doi:10.1126/science.320.5878.851a.
- Charlesworth, B.; Harvey, P. (2005). "John Maynard Smith. 6 January 1920 - 19 April 2004: Elected F.R.S. 1977". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 51 (3): 253–265. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2005.0016.
- HARVEY, Prof. Paul H. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2015 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription required)
- "Professor Paul Harvey". Jesus College, Oxford. 2008-05-23. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- "No. 58729". The London Gazette (Supplement). 14 June 2008. p. 7.
R. McNeill Alexander
|Secretary of the
Zoological Society of London
|This article about a biologist from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|