A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (May 2017)
|No. of offices||21|
|No. of attorneys||~1,000|
|Major practice areas||Finance, M&A, private equity, litigation, restructurings, white collar and government disputes, energy, infrastructure, intellectual property, employment, real estate|
|Key people||Frank Lopez, Chair; Sherrese Smith, Managing Partner; Seth Zachary, Chair Emeritus|
|Profit per equity partner||$3.9 million|
|Date founded||November 1, 1951|
|Founder||Lee Paul, Robert Hastings, Leonard Janofsky|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Paul Hastings LLP is a global law firm that represents a client base in finance, M&A, private equity, and litigation.
The firm specializes in white collar and government disputes, energy, infrastructure, and intellectual property. Paul Hastings has been ranked on The American Lawyer’s A-List for eleven consecutive years, in 2020, was named Transatlantic Firm of the Year at the British Legal Award, and in 2021, Most Impressive Investigations Practice of the Year at the Global Investigations Review Awards. Paul Hastings is widely known as one of the foremost anti-union law firms in the United States, regularly representing employers in organized labor-related litigation and combating union organizing campaigns.
Paul Hastings was founded in Los Angeles in 1951 by Lee Paul, Robert Hastings, and Leonard Janofsky. Over the years, Paul Hastings expanded its size and geographic reach to meet client needs. Today the firm’s Wall Street client base has made New York its largest office. The firm maintains a strong presence in key financial and business capitals around the globe, including in California and throughout Asia, Europe, Latin America and elsewhere in the United States.
As of October 2022, the chairman of the firm is Frank Lopez. Over the last two decades,[clarification needed] Paul Hastings has been a market leader in financial growth having more than tripled its profits per partner to become one of the largest and strongest law firms in the world. Over this period, the firm has had the largest profit per partner growth in the highest-grossing half of the Am Law 100.
- Firm revenue (2021): 
- Profit Per Partner (2021): 
- Revenue Per Lawyer (2021): 
- Geographic Scope: 21 Offices 
- Attorneys: ~1,000 
In October 2021, the firm announced that Mr. Zachary will step down as Chair in October 2022. Frank Lopez, co-head of the firm’s securities and capital markets practice and partner in the firm’s leveraged finance practice in New York, was voted chair-elect effective October 2021. Washington, D.C.-based Sherrese Smith, vice chair of the firm’s data privacy and cybersecurity practice and partner in the firm’s media, technology and telecommunications practice, was elected managing partner.
The firm is one of only a handful of law firms ranked across core finance areas: structured credit, leveraged finance, private credit, capital markets and real estate finance.
Notable current or former attorneys
- Ronald Barak (born 1943), Olympic gymnast.
- Ralph B. Everett, first African-American partner at Paul Hastings and adviser to several U.S. presidential campaigns.
- Jay C. Gandhi, first South Asian American federal judge in California, was a partner at the firm.
- Robert Luskin, specialist in white-collar crime and federal and state government investigations, and an adjunct professor of law at Georgetown University Law Center, where he teaches a course in global anti-corruption.
- Thomas P. O'Brien, former U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California, joined Paul Hastings in 2009.
- Robert P. Silvers, U.S. Under Secretary for Strategy, Policy, and Plans.
- "Paul Hastings LLP, Global | Chambers Profiles". Chambers.com. Retrieved 2021-10-18.
- "The 2021 A-List: With Change a Constant, Top Performers Are Always Reevaluating". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2021-10-18.
- "Winners: Transatlantic Legal Awards 2019 (TLA)". Event.law.com. Retrieved 2021-10-18.
- "GIR Awards 2021: Most Impressive Investigations Practice of the Year and Investigations Consultancy of the Year". globalinvestigationsreview.com. Retrieved 2021-10-18.
- "Paul Hastings LLP - Traditional Labor and the National Labor Relations Act". paulhastings.com. Retrieved 2022-12-19.
- "Paul Hastings LLP - The Inside View". Chambers-associate.com. Retrieved 2021-10-18.
- "Paul Hastings LLP - Offices". Paulhastings.com. Retrieved 2021-10-18.
- "After More Than 2 Decades, Seth Zachary stepped down as Chair of Paul Hastings". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2021-10-18.
- "Top 100 US Law Firms". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2022-01-14.
- "'Binding' to Leading Clients, Paul Hastings Posts Double Digit PEP Growth". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2021-10-18.
- "Paul Hastings LLP, USA | Chambers Profiles". chambers.com. Retrieved 2022-01-14.
- "Ralph Bernard Everett's Biography". The HistoryMakers.
- Jones, Ashby. "Paul Hastings Lands O'Brien, the U.S. Attorney in Los Angeles". WSJ. Retrieved 2016-11-30.